Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Acceleration day.

The Squat Master, Louie Simmons.


That's how I think about wednesdays swing workouts. Trying to get my body standing up as fast as possible each rep and transfering that force into the bell each rep.If the reps start to slow down I am over my limit. Since I did 300 reps in transfer sets of 5/5/5/5 last week I wanted to do something different. I decided on sets of 20 reps per arm but only one arm per set.
I would do 20 reps on one arm as hard and fast as possible., set the bell down and let Joe go, then do the other arm. Worked great. 20 reps worked out to about 40 sec per set which is about the peak time for anaerobic training. The longer it goes the more oxygen dependent the set gets and the less white fiber gets used.Lower intensity is for mondays. Today is sprints.

One arm swings.
16 kg x5/5/5/5x2

24 kg x20 reps per arm
5 sets per arm
200 reps total

reps starting to slow down and lose force so I go to
10/10x 3 sets
60 reps

260 total reps
13,780 pounds

I was hoping for closer to 300 ( or even above) but a serious racoon/cat death match got us up and kept us up in the middle of the night so I didnt get much sleep.Energy ,bell and extension speed started to wane so I shut 'er down.
We thought it was our favorite calico Jello, and I seriously thought I would find a dead cat this morning. Thank goodness she was ok.

Snatch holds
20 kgx 45 sec x 4 sets

this felt great!snatch position is improving daily it seems. Overhead ROM is doing great and the stick press rocks! The two kb/one arm press also seems to be helping, strangely enough.

rack walks 20 kg
200 feet per arm
200 feet per lap
6 laps/1200 feet.

ok I bonked and just got through this. I was not in the mood.the 20 kg seemed heavy. Just tired . The higher intensity of each rep also played a part. Can't sprint for that long, it has an accumulated fatigue effect. This is also the point of Hardstyle and WSB box squat training. High force per rep, low reps per set, short rest periods, high level of total muscular( re; white fiber musculature) overload and fast twich adaptive response set into play.

Low force, low intensity long duration sets work the red fibers, mitochondria, capillaries and oxygen delivery system. Great base and ground work as I am finding out from my monday rep sessions. forgot how that feels; havent been able to do that since 2000 since I hurt my back.
Louie always emphasized LOTS of GPP and being in shape to lift; hence the 12 sets of 2 on below parallel box squats with chains and or bands and only 45 sec rest between sets.Dragging sleds, pulling sleds and lots of extra lower intensity special exercise workouts to increase work capacity and bring up weak points.reverse hypers, pullthroughs, kbs, anything,everything.

Being real strong and being in great shape at the same time feels amazing. I will settle for being in great shape and being able to move with no pain.

except for the shitty night sleep killing my energy this was a good one.Nothing like a big shot of adrenaline at midnight and then trying to go right back to sleep. How the hell do firefighters do that?No wonder they can only work ten days a month.

BW 162.6
BF 8.5%
Water 61.1%

Stir frys and ice cream are back and the bodyfat is down. go figure.

datsit, gotta stretch.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I'm only a dispatcher, but I can tell you it takes a bit to wind down in the morning when something big goes down.

Our downtime is very necessary.

Mark Reifkind said...

yeah I can really see that christine.

Franz Snideman said...

"I will settle for being in great shape and being able to move with no pain."

this is huge Rif! I can relate to you on this! Geoff had a really good post last week about the difference between maximum and optimum. Sounds like you made the switch from maximum to optimum a long time ago!

Royce said...

"Ice cream is back and bodyfat is down." EEERRGGH!

LOL, nice one, the 20 reps sets kill my speed by the end of one set much less 10. Glad your feeling good.

Glad your cat is OK too. Racoons a viscious little creatures.

Mark Reifkind said...

sorry dude, but i bet you could have a half pint of ice a day, as I do if you didnt eat any other junk.I had to cut back on the grain for this to work.

the longer you work at it the longer you will be able to hold your speed and power.of course there is a limit and that 40-50 sec mark is mine.
and yeah those racoons are NASTY.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz, but I didnt have much choice .I still have powerlifting fantasies.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...