Saturday, April 21, 2007

Finishing Knee-hab and the most important strength.

I just realized that what I have been mainly doing these last 2.5 years since kettlebells became my primary method of training is finishing the rehab that I never got done on my knee 33 years ago. And that the most important strength, the keystone,lynchpin and starting point from which all other strength evolves is bodyweight strength.

Until you can support and control your own bodyweight and limbs everything else is not necessary.This is especially true when there is an injury involved. When I started this RKC journey two and half years ago I could still squat 400 pretty easily in my gear but couldnt support my bodyweight on my left leg to walk more than a few blocks without knee pain!

The kettlebell training built me back up from the inside out,establishing and building a much more solid foundation of connective tissue as well as muscle tissue with the so basic but so primal swing motions.

The same is true with my shoulder as well. The ability to handle such high volumes of work in such compound motions with so little 'breakdown' of the system and the muscles is amazing.

I doubt whether I will ever get the full flexion and extension that I would like my knee to have. I am also pretty sure I will get the old thing replaced some time in the not too distant future. Regardless of any of that I still want to regain as much function, mobility, strength and endurance I can get from this leg and now that I see what actually can happen I am even more motivated!

Getting back to my gymnastics body, and the flexibility that went with that has been key to all of this as well. I am stretching more and more all the time and I keep feeling better so that will continue. After seeing( and being reminded again of) how flexible those Chinese Olympic lifters were, and just how strong AND flexible all good olympic lifters are, I am redoubling my stretching efforts!Just in specific stretches but I am pushing things much more and making sure I stay pretty light in BW as well. It's tempting to let my bw creep up again and get even stronger but I know better :))


And the use of some serious weighted stretching on my knee has me thinking I might actually get full extension again!

1 comment:

Christine said...

One thing I have noticed is that powerlifting makes me feel like I "lumber" around a lot. KBs do loosen me up a bit. I try to take yoga when I can so I don't get super tight.

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...