Monday, October 23, 2006

The reps within a single.

This is from my post on DragonDoor. Just wanted it archived here. I will work this into an article for Pavel as well.


As I go back to doing presses using just singles I am reminded of the last three lift powermeet I did in 1999. I am planning on using low volume to try and escape rebuilding the shoulder imbalances I have been working to fix. Inspired by all the great ROP stuff going on I want to get my press back while doing it safely and with more total body participation than before.

In 1999 my knee locked up badly as I was preparing for the Ironman meet using WSB volume approach. This was before I understood how much a steel tight IT band could exacerbate my knee problems. I knew I couldnt do my usual volume and live but I was determined to compete and couldnt figure out how to train.


My very smart wife asked me the perfect question:" can't you just do enough to not get hurt?" Simple idea but it rocked me. Just how little could I get away with and still squat and pull decently?Maybe I could still pull this off.
Although I was addicted to volume I knew very well how many legendary powerlifters had trained for years: heavy singles. So I set out on a program of as few singles as possible to reach the weight that I wanted for that day.I knew I had to train between 80 and 90% this way to have a chance. The first thing I realized that if you only get to do singles you pay close attention to EVERY aspect of every rep.I only got to do 4 or 5 total reps and had to commit to each of them completely.

Each had to be perfect.
So the unracking of the bar became its own rep and getting tight before I took it off was a form of overload.Walking with the weight another rep that could be perfected with as much total body tension as possible.The setup another. The negative had to be maximally tight while as fluid as possible into the hole which is where everything is determined.The ascent,done as strongly as possible a critical high intensity movement. The hold for the rack signal and another walk. Each its own individual component that could be done maximally with as much tension strength and perfect technique as possible.

I squatted 462 in the gym for one strong single and squeaked out a 525 at 181 at the meet, which set the stage for my pr total. All on a few single once a week for 8 weeks. Now as I start to train the press again I plan on approaching the it the same way. You can't shoot a cannon out of a canoe and that saying has more meaning for me know than ever.I know that building the starting power for the press from the ground up is the secret. Just look at Mr Cotter or Jones or Kenneth Jay press.

A single rep has many parts.

No comments:

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...