Thursday, October 05, 2006

District B-13

This is the best action/adventure movie I have ever seen. David Belle, of the real Parkour fame, is perhaps the best human animal I have ever seen as well. I would call him the best athlete, but his ability to move and his overall conditioning go far beyond that. This is a rocking, non stop action flick and there are no Crouching Tiger Hidden Wires anti gravity tricks either. Its all real.

Can't wait to see Tony Ja in the Protector. Be very interesting to see how they compare.Belle proves that modern gymnastics has taken a very wrong turn,especially when one sees how he lands all of his skills; nary a STICK in site. He lands as we are supposed to land after dropping great distances, by deflecting force, not absorbing it into the body.

If you love human movement see this film

9 comments:

Tim Dymmel said...

Rif,

The preview on netflix was decent. The best part looks like the stunts. So it's in the queue. One day it will get watched.

Tom Furman said...

The previews for that rock. His ability to land and dissipate force is incredible. It is a sport for those youthful enough to still have massive amounts of GH floating around.
Mark, you know the gymnast/capoeira guy in the "Protector"? He was on the US Gymnastics team as well. Coach Somner knows him.

Franz Snideman said...

Wow. Looks really cool the trailer was awesome. think I'll rent it!

Thanks for sharing Rif!

Mark Reifkind said...

just watched it for the second time. When I come back I want to be david belle.

sorry tom havent seent the protector yet so I dont know who you are referring to.

Tom Furman said...

This guy.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ta2fv0BcR-4

Mark Reifkind said...

tom,

so tony ja was a gymnast? wild, though it makes perfect sense. just watched "stick it" agirls gymnastics movie that was suprisingly right on the money regarding the politics an dbs of modern gymnastics.

the actors were chubby but the gymnastics was solid and was presented in a very unique way, decent director.

I could relate to Jeff Bridges character as well.

Ken Black said...

Rif & Tom I just found one I think you'll like I threw it up on my blog.

Royce said...

I gotta see that movie, those guys just amaze me. If I trained for 10 years I wouldn't be able to move like that I don't think.

By the way taking a Que from your post I tied my bulldog on my waist and did sprints forward and backward yesterday ( conditioning day ).
It was close to 100 degrees here when I did it in the park, I was a sweaty quesy mess. But fun though.

Mark Reifkind said...

Royce,

I just decided that I am going to make mondays workouts a sled dragging, famers,rack and waiters walk day in the park a block from my house!

I think my legs and knee can handle it.dragging the bell was a great revelation for me. I've been searching for a way to work my legs without my shoulders that didnt mess my knee up.I think the bell drag is it. I will also mix in the other carry variations.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...