Tuesday, October 24, 2006

OK, I'll listen.


Alright, it's obvious my body doesnt want me to do the press because my shoulder has been talking to me in a way it hasnt since I stopped doing presses months ago. The fact that I easily pressed the two pood after all that time NOT pressing did show me that I can press. The fact that my right teres is as tight as a drum shows me I shouldn't be pressing on a regular basis.

Luckily I am nowhere near as stubborn as I used to be and appreciate the things I still CAN do, such as snatch , hi pull and pullups. I will keep cleans and bottoms up in as I think they will be no problem. It seems like I have just burned certain grooves out and I will be able to train them no more.

That's alright. I prefer to focus and be thankful for the things that I can still do that don't create more pain or agravate old injuries. I am falling back to old habits less and less these days. Must be a sign of maturity or some such thing. I will be fifty in just a few months.

Hi pulls tomorrow.

6 comments:

Ken Black said...

Nice insights Rif. Read, listen and learn.

How long between drinks on pressing the 2 pood?
Are you taking the dragging out for the moment? I had a couple of thoughts on it that might be of interest if you are intending to keep it up.

Mark Reifkind said...

ken, I havent presses since july.I am taking the dragging out and going back to the kb walking which was working ok. I just wanted more pure leg work which my knee is not ready for.

same with the press. there is a big difference for my injured shoulder getting the weight overhead with the snatch which seems to balance things and the presses which overwork my internal rotators almost immediately.

I am still not balanced enought to get away with pressing it seems. no worries. snatching is good.

Franz Snideman said...

Hey Brother, your pressing woes are not a big deal. How often in your work do you really need to be able to press 70 + pounds overhead?

Your snatching and high pulls work the upper body and upper back musculature very well. Another thought comes to minds; can you tolerate push presses or jerks? The time under tension is much less and might not fry your internal rotators as much.

cqc10 said...

Mark I feel your pain. I can press a bulldog, but my shoulders get so fried from even low volumes of pressing that I just have to barely do any of it at all. Snatches bother me too so that doesn't help.

Frustrating stuff, but you have to listen to your body I guess.

Mark Reifkind said...

franz, I've tried but the shoulder ( just the right one) doenst like going overhead in that manner either. strange how the snatch is therapeutic and the press is problematic.different groove for sure.

and you are right, it is not a problem and when I gave them up last time I knew I was better off without them. I need LESS tension in the front panel not more to be in less pain and more functional.

also strange how I start getting signals from the body even BEFORE I do the exercise!My right shoulder was tight from saturday on just from thinking about pressing,lol!
can't be greedy, I am truly blessed to be able to do as much as I can.

Mark Reifkind said...

trace,yes I know your pain. I have no doubt I could press the dog but would pay too dearly for it. oh well, like you said you have to listen to your body or suffer the consequences.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...