Wednesday, October 18, 2006

High Pulls, High Force.

I have noticed that with all my focus on volume recently that the force level of each rep has really gone down. Had to, because as total volume and time under tension go up the level of force output has to drop. You can sprint 40 yards but you can't sprint a mile.
It's been what I've needed, to loosen up and get more stamina and a lower level of total body tension.

But I think I can handle a little more strength and tension now.

High Pulls
36x5/5/5/5x2
44x5/5

53x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10=90 reps x 3 rounds
270 reps/14,310 pounds! excellent. 30 minutes.

This really was great. I focused on applying force as long as possible on each rep and getting the bell as high as possible.Not having to do such high reps made this easy. The tens were a bit tough and the lst part of the third round I noticed the force output per rep drop but overall was very pleased. As usual negative split time and did the last two rounds almost faster than the first one!

Clean and Press
36x5/5
44x5/5
53x3/3x3 sets

Couldnt wait to try these. It's been a long time but they were easy. Focused on pressing from the contact point of the bell and the forearm and this really shortened the stroke. The key here for me if I am to do these safely is to limit volume and treat this as a Maximum effort day as I would in the WSB template. 3-6 reps per workout. I have YEARS of pressing volume under my belt and I don't want to wreck my already wrecked shoulders.

Scapula pullups

5 sets of 8 reps alternated with the presses

AHHHHH. SHould have been doing these all along. These are what got me able to do real pullups again and they are so good for my shoulder girdle

Left leg calf raise
18x6
26x6
36x5

BW 161.8
BF 10%
Hydration level 59.7%

all good. lots of shoulder strethcing to do later.

dats it, staying loose.

8 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

That's what I like Rif, the higher force production stuff. It is so addicting, but if done too much (as you and I both know) it can be deadly. Sounds like your body is prepared from some higher force work. Heaven knows you have built a big enough base to tolerate it (injury history and all). Look forward to more updates!

Nice workout by the way!

Mark Reifkind said...

yes franz I do too but I'm glad I built my gpp and foundation up with all that volume.It's much safer way for me to train.
not sure if I am going to keep the press in or not. we'll see how the low volume works

Ken Black said...

Nice Rif. It is good to see you adding the presses in there. Hope that you keep it up. It looks like a good addition to your training.

Mark Reifkind said...

we'll see ken. my shoulder feels fine this am. I think I might be able to handle the low volume.

Franz Snideman said...

Another thought Rif,

how about just pressing heavy once per week (which I'm sure you'll do anyway) and then use some lighter KB's for presses later on in the week?

Mark Reifkind said...

franz it is not the load at all but the motion that messes me up.I am so front delt/pec dominate that working the press really pulls the humerus forwards and messes up my scapulo-throacic mechanics.

staying away from all pressing motions and just focusing on the snatch and pullups has been good. but not perfect.so I am thinking I can handle SOME pressing but not much. Might as well be heavy,lol.

I squatted a decent 525 in my last competition in 2001 after not being able to do anything other than singles for the entire peaking cycle because of my back.

My brilliant wife, after listening to me bitch about not being able to train as I used to( wsb volume style)"can't you just lift enough not to get hurt?"

A great solution and I did between 3 and 4 total singles( after warmup) for each workout and did great. hopefully this will work here as well.

Royce said...

Gotta love the womens opinions.
They just walk around our pre-concevied notions and come up with some really great ideas.

Good to see you pressing again. I hope the shoulder stays solid!!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks royce,and yes she is the one with actual common sense!we'll see how long the presses can stay in themix.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...