Sunday, July 09, 2006

More PR's from Nick at APC Nationals

or How to put 100 pounds on your squat and 124 pounds on your total in 9 months! My training partner and protege Nick Bruckner had another stellar meet this weekend, going 8 for 9 again with 5 PRs and breaking the 600 pound squat barrier as well as the 1500 pound total barrier at the same time! Nick was on fire again squatting 525,573(pr) and 601( huge pr!), benching 374( his only miss that he made on his third attempt, and deadlifting 451,507( PR) and 520 for a huge pr and getting his 1500 with a 1504 total tieing for third place in his first nationals!

We neeeded 525 for his 1500 and the choice was between 523 and 529 so I choose the 520 which I wasnt positive he could get. But I also knew that if he made 523 and ended up with 1498 he would have killed me for not calling for the 529 so I did.came through like a Champ! Also got to spend the day with Pete Diaz and Ken Black from Sacto and had a great time with these fine RKC's.

The meet was perfect with a great venue, excellent warmup and competition equipment and tough but fair judging. Having to only deal with two weight classes for his flight made this meet go very quickly as well though it still took all day. heres a link to the videos Ken so graciously posted on his blog.

Nick lost the 198's to a 48 year old marc Caplan who squatted 780, benched mid fours and pulled mid sixes. HE lost first on the last pull of the day to James Kegrice who had to pull a third attempt 705 to beat Marc for a trip to the Worlds and got it! Unbeleivable! great great fun. ALMOST as much fun as competing myself but much less pain involved.http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=OtherSideOfStrength

7 comments:

Pete said...

OUTSTANDING! I know you are proud as hell for Nick and his PRs. Well Done! I am sorry that I could not stay for the entire meet, but I was glad to catch his squat and bench.

I had a great time with you and your crew, Rif!

Ken Black said...

Rif it was a great day! Big kudos to Nick! I put the vids up on the blog today and I will get a copy to you soon. Good to meet you and catch up soon.

Ken Black said...

Pete the deadlift was the best part for me! Too bad you couldn't stay!

Pete said...

of course it was the best part! BLAST IT ALL!

Mark Reifkind said...

deadlifts are great but I miss the squat most of all.

Franz Snideman said...

Sweet! Rif, you and Nick should be proud! Those are some huge numbers I have no doubt that your coaching and his desire Nick can lift even heavier loads in the future.

But PR's are always nice, especially in mutiple events!!!!

Your coaching ability is ELITE!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz. its great to be a good coach but I really hate not being able to compete.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...