Sunday, July 31, 2005

In Service day

When I was a gymnastics coach I was lucky enough to learn from Roy Davis, not only a great gymnast but an incredible teacher of teachers. We always had in service days to discuss our training methods and techniques. It was always fun and I never came away without learning a lot.

This weekend was like that starting with the incredible experience of getting to our hotel just two blocks from the beach right about at sunset. We were dipping our feet in the water and I realized just how much being in the water means to me. I grew up in Miami Beach and it has very special meaning to me. The beach feels like home. We had a great steak dinner to prepare for the next days workout and the training discussions we were having were already fantastic. An omen of things to come.

Got picked up early by Brett Jones, strongman extraordinaire and Bosu Ball inventor and overall balance master David Weck. When we arrived Pavel was already to go and I noticed the smallest bell was the two pood.We had 2 88's 2 72's 2 106's and a 125 and a 145 coming later. Okay. this should be fun......

Pavel was doing tactical pullups with the 40kg , I was helping mike C with muscle ups on the rings, mike m was playing with the 25 pound clubells like they were balsa indian clubs andBrett was getting his gripper ready. Things started slowly then picked up pace as Mike hit the pullups with Pavel, I started doing two handed swing flips with the 72 then the 88 then the 106! The sand also provided a very interesting and challenging base of support.

I got a very solid triple with the Beast the first time I have touched it. Very happy with that. The company of strong men always makes one better. Subsequent sets with the Bulldog and the two pood were SO much lighter. Amazing.

Mike then started doing his tarzan routine swinging across the ten ring sets like he was george of the jungle. effortless. Jones and weck both had their fun with this as well. Then onto no feet clumbs up the rope to win a lunch bet for weck and then mike c.

Pavels is alternating presses with the bulldog with more pullups for single with the bulldog with ten pounds added.Grip work with brett is sandwiched in too as were his neck and jaw drills from resiliant.Mike C joins in the pullup fun. Man I wish I could still do those. I used to be very strong in this but I was determined not to be stupid this weekend and come out unscathed.

Pavel Mike C Brett and David shift focus to the double rope setup and proceed to double arm hop with NO LEGS all the way to the top!!! and then down to arms at a time a freakish display of strength and coordination.

then the monster kbs arrive from Shawn Michaels and thes things are BIG. The 125# er is a very wide based flat bottoms little half mushroom and the 145 is cast from a freaking basketball. Giganto.

Mahler and Mike start swinging, then one arm swinging and then cleaning. Mahler then side presse the 125 and has to bail out on the 145 but a huge display of strength and control. Mike tries to snatch the 145 but he decides its not a great idea and lets it go. Unreal strength for these attempts at first site.

Jones is double cleaning the TWO BEASTS like they were two poods. he also bottoms up cleans the beast!He and Mike C then proceed to juggle tow two 72's doing double flips with mike doing his normal crazy stuff of sideways flips and alternatiing under over flips with the 72's. You really cant believe it til you see it.

Jones also cleans, snatches and bent presses the 125# and cleans and one arm swings the 145#!!! Unfreakingreal.

I felt very happy with my two hands swings with the 125 as well as the 145# Not bad at all. My rooting and hip snap are much improved.

I also clean the Bulldog for the first time regular style then I did it BOTTOMS UP!! Yeah baby! very very happy with that.

Next up were handstands and I helped Brett, Pavel and Mike C get into solid positions and taught them the secrets of finger control that allows you to hold a handstand for as long as you want. I am also happy to report that my handstand was the best its been in fifteen years and after a slow start I was able to nail them at will.

Then we went for a swim and the fun began. we had swum out a decent distance from shore, enjoying the water and clean air when Mike C says "let swim out to that bouy" So of course we do. Pavel, Mike C, Jones Weck and me are headed out there and i KNOW this is going to be tougher than it looks.

But the GREAT news is that my shoulder, which didnt work AT ALL two years ago in Hawaii allowed me to swim like my old self again and tie Weck to the bouy!Amazing. Gettin back was tough and I was starving when we finished.

We shared a great lunch and talked training for the next two hours. What an amazing weekend.

Part two : Dinner for Five Kettlebell style.

No comments:

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...