Thursday, September 21, 2006

Akinori Nakayama



Akinori Nakayama. This is the guy who's responsible for getting me into gymnastics and down this physical journey I've been on for almost 35 years.Saw him lead the 1972 Japanese Team to Olympic Gold and my life has not been the same since.Turns out we share the same birthday.
The top picture, of his parallel bar swing illustrates why I love this guy. EVERYTHING was taken to the max, perfect form, perfect exectution and mechanics. His routines, by today's standards, were very elementary but done with such physical elegance and perfection you could only watch, spellbound, by the strength and artistry he displayed.
He also was the one who introduced me to the concept of Zen and the code of the Samurai, Bushido. Great stuff for a fourteen year old.

3 comments:

Royce said...

Very cool that you got introduced to eastern philosophy early.

I unfortunately was raised in an extremely oppresive "christian" household. Dude, and I mean oppressive.
I found a copy of Razors Edge when I was 16 and just devoured it, been on one journey or another since then.

Did your parents support your studies?

I really try hard to keep all avenues of thought open for my kids.

Mark Reifkind said...

royce,

no my parents werent into it. I'm jewish and they werent too much into buddhism but they had little choice about the matter.good for you for keeping an open mind for your kids.

Franz Snideman said...

Royce,

any religion has the potential to be "ultra" oppresive. That is unfortunate about your oppresive household you grew up in. Sounds like your parents oppresive nature drove you away. As a Christian myself, I too can relate to the oppresion that is associated with Christianity. True Christianity, IMO, is a very liberating and open religion. Jesus himself hated religion and the legalism that had enslaved his jewish people. I am appaled and horrified what people can do to people "in the name of God." Thankfully there are Christians out there that are critical thinkers and accpeting of all people.

Just some of my thoughts. Have a good one :)

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...