Saturday, November 04, 2006

Physical Nirvana

In this issue of Hard Style Ron Morris,RKC writes one of my new alltime favorite lines:

"...my own constant desire to find the perfect combination of training techniques that will magically proper me into physical nirvana."

Exactly. Hence my lifetime obsession with exercise form and program design.Todays snatch workout was one of those moments when the intention, form and execution came together and I felt like "thats its! I've got it."

Warmup:

25 minutes of Rifga, joint mobility and light two hand/one hand swings.

Snatch
36x5/5x2
44x5/5

53x5/5x19 sets

190 reps/10,700 pounds.

Each set started with a swing and a few sets had extra swings in the set as I lost the groove for a rep or two and had to swing again to get it back.
I have been thinking alot about the perfect swing and snatch and it does NOT involve 200 continuous repetitions.

My performance on Wednesday really showed me what happens when I sacrifice form and power for reps. Yes I made the number and yes it was a pr but I had the wrong focus. I want to really maximize the power of the arc of the kettlebell swing and understand its full potential for creating force. That should be my focus not just how many reps I can do or pounds I lift.

I have been thinking alot also about the similarities of the kb swing/snatch and giant swings on hi bar. the kb swing is like the giant swing done in reverse.The bell is the gymnast and the girevik a moving apparatus. Strange stuff indeed.

And like in a hi bar swing or a tap swing for a dismount, there is only ONE optimal point to maximize explosive power of the combination of the body and the bell( or the bar). IN a giant swing tap(go from slight hip flexion to extension and back into flexion to upside down). Same with the kb swing.

So today I worried not at all about how long it took me to do the volume I wanted or the rest periods, kept the reps to only five and focused on creating as much pendular momentum as possible and to accelerate as long and hard as possible with each rep. Kind of like box squatting with chains or bands attached. Maximal force with submaximal weight.

I now have enough reps under my belt to survive this I think and it's based on finding the perfect swing groove, not the most efficient one.

I am wierd this way. Give me enough rest between sets and I can continue to produce high levels of force in a lift for a long time. Cut my rest periods down and I crash and burn fast. But if I go low intensity enough I have great endurance! It's either hi intensity or low intensity. Not too good in the middle. THats ironic.

As it turns our my swing/snatch form is very similar to my deadlift position. Which makes sense, I guess. With my short spine and longer legs I have to lean over more to get my hips into the mix.If I sit back too much its like trying to squat a deadlift off the floor. It turns it into a leg exercise only and I am out of phase for the hip snap. So I gotta lean over. My bicep tendon and shoulder gave this technique their wholehearted approval.

As usual it's all about the swing.

datsit.staying loose.

Sundays weigh in

bw 161.8
bf 9.2 %
water 59.6 %

Hi pull videos to follow.

2 comments:

Tim Dymmel said...

Rif,

I second your finding on bending over more to get the hips into it. I have recently found that as well.

Whereas I used to be able to "find" my hammies in swings, way back when I used the 16, now, it's hard to "find" them with the 40. Either I'm way stronger or I need to change something. But getting over more definitely puts the impetus on my hips to "get through" and get the bell moving.

Good stuff bro.

I'm working on getting some clips on, too, so y'all can give some critiques.

Dymmel

Mark Reifkind said...

I fought that for years with my dl much to my detriment. I am built so strangely and with so many injuries and bizarre mechanical requirements that all my techniques are slightly "different". gots to do what works safely though.not what looks good.

get those clips coming.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...