Wednesday, November 15, 2006

High pulls and shoulder revelations

My right shoulder has been pretty funky lately; as in does not want to go all the way overhead easily at all. Lot of internal rotation at 110-120 degrees and its tough to keep the scapula working correctly as I go overhead. Needless to say this makes snatches pullups and presses pretty interesting.

Lets just say I do ALOT of work I dont write down here for my shoulder back and knees as lots of it is experimental and very individual. Luckily there arent that many that are as tweaked as I am.Another reason I have become so blase about high intensity sports for kids. The injury gift you might be giving can last a lifetime. And its not like there are very many good coaches. Gotta be careful.

But this is interesting and worth noting. One thing I discovered was that my tricep( right one) wouldn't fire as I got close to 120 degrees of shoulder flexion. Just like having a tight hamstring with a non firing VMO. THis would cause a lot of the internal rotation and a very tight biceps and coracoid brachialis.

by backing ALL the way up and just doing a standing two arm front raise (very very slowly)with totally straight arms and triceps firing.

THE HANDS ARE FULLY EXTENDED AND THE WRISTS IN FULL EXTENSION( think palms flat on the wall in front of you). Almost to the exact degree that my triceps stopped firing the elbow bent and internal rotation occured.

I used Pavels Strength stretching technique to fire the triceps hard, causing the biceps to have to release.It very intense! But I got an immediate release in the impingment in my bicep tendon and my shoulder felt much better. Plus I got twenty degrees more shoulder flexion!

With so much bicep and flexors involvment with kb work this is the missing piece of the puzzle.Just like I have to keep enough quad strength to oppose my hamstring strength the same thing here.My overhead stick stretches have been too wide and I shouldtn let the wrist go into flexion.

Not to mention the repeptive stress from typing,mousing and all the freaking hard pressing body work I do. My forearms were RAMPANT with trigger points, that radiated right into my shoulder!
I love to learn new stuff, especially like this!!


AM
RIFGA 20 minutes
rear delts/green band 100 reps


High PUlls
36x5/5/5/5x2

53x10/10x 15 sets
300 reps/15,900 pounds!!

this went suprisingly well. I did the palms up front raise in between each set and my shoulder stayed nice and relaxed as well as my biceps.nice. too about 25 minutes.

Rack walks
44lb kbx 100 feet per arm/200 feet laps
1000 feet total

Snatch Holds
36x30 sec
44x30 sec x2
36x30 sec

did these with the spear hand and actually letting my wrist stretch back to open up the forearm.

Band rear delts 80 reps green band
Overhead rotators 5 lbs 3x15 each

Bosu ball
two foot neck mobility
two foot eyes closed for time
two foot eyes closed neck mobility
one foot for time
one foot blinks

this is getting better each time.feet so much stronger one legged are almost decent even on my left leg!

bw 162
bf 8.5% again!
water 61.2%

2 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Rif,

interesting idea about stretching your flexors in the snatch hold. Do you get elbow problems from all the KB work?

From doing bodywork and lifting weight all day, my elbows have a tendency to hurt from too much tension in my arms. Hyperflexion does not feel good on cleans and hyperextension feels bad as well. Limiting the range of motion in my elbows seems to be the best, and just resting them from time to time.

Mark Reifkind said...

no elbow problems( thanks God) just the right shoulder and rotator.the source though is the same I think the flexors of the forearma nd the loss of extensor strength.
I cant beleive how much better my shoulder feels already.

Have you read the book Anatomy Trains about myofascial meridians in the body? amazing stuff. this meridian track( from right fingertips up through the inside of the arms across the chest and front delts and down the inside of the other arm into the fingetips)
is what was linking my foerarm to my shoulder.

I bet it would help TONS for bad elbows though.and yes the tension is a killer. that is why I do so little strength work now. my body hols tension like a sponge. and that makes pain.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...