Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Building up, not tearing down.


For years I trained to destruction. Especially as a bodybuilder where muscle self torture was the rule of the day. One's ability to withstand lactic acid buildup was a sign of manhood.
I accepted the extreme soreness and debilitation as sure signs I had stimulated growth.Now my job, until the next workout, was to encourage recovery.This destruction/rebuilding process was the template and for years I put my heart and soul into it.

Yet somewhere down the line I just realized that I was breaking down way more than I was building up.Yes I could do the workout but it took way too long to recover to make it worthwhile. As I approach the Half Century mark early next year I realize that doing exercises and programs that don't leave me crippled but actually make me feel and move better and easier are the way to go.

Not having to compete anymore makes this possible.I may not be able to "fight for the kingdom" as Pavel says but I ain't laying down in bed to rest my legs either!

Yesterdays swing form experiment proved this to me once again. MY left knee locked up almost immediately after the workout and I had pain in my ankle, knee, quad, IT band, glutes and SI joint that I havent had in months.The knee was not sitting right and everything around,above and below it let me know.

SO lots of nsaids, traction, foam rollers, baths,on the floor stretches for the hammies, quads and calves and lots of prayer and woke up this morning okay.The universe let me know in no uncertain terms which swing form it preferred. I am going with the Big Dog,LOL.

Now with my shoulder almost fully back in the socket and my leg attatched again I have fleeting moments of, dare I say it?, almost NO pain and a feeling of full body integration! Wow, so that's what that feel like,lol!

I so want to be more powerful, stronger and be able to do more work in the gym but I am constantly reminded of just how much I can do, right now, and how good it feels in and of itself to be able to do so.Those little moments of panic and terror that tthose basic things I tend to take for granted will be taken away from me lets me know for sure that those little basic moves are nuggets of pure gold.

3 comments:

Royce said...

Amen.
I am really enjoying the connected feeling TGU's are giving me right now.
Sorry about the knee and hip with the new swing form. Very cool about your shoulder sitting better though!!

Franz Snideman said...

How essential it is to listen to our body and work with it rather than against it. You are a master of doing that, even though you do have a sadistic side to you :)

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I assume your best swing technique in hinging from the hips?

Mark Reifkind said...

me sadistic? LOL. I resemble that remark.

and yes I am back to my old hip hinging form.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...