Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Swing practice

The 1976 Japanese Olympic Team



One of my favorite storys involves one of my high school gymnastics heroes and role models, 3 time NCAA All Around Champion and Olympian Steve Hug. Since I devoured Modern Gymnast magazine every month til I knew every routine in it by heart( no lie) I knew of Steves amazing gymnastics transformation after his pilgramage to NiTiDi, the Japanses Phys Ed college where all of Japans Olympians trained and went to school.

Steve went to NiTiDi further his already amazing repetoire of gymnastics skills but when he got there, to his amazement, all they would let him do is swing. Swing circles on side horse, big swings on rings, swings on parallel bars and hi bar and basic tumbling. Nothing else. For six months!

For an athlete of Hug's caliber to take six months off his skills was unheard of but he did it. And it transformed him. When he went back to doing his competition skills he was a new gymnast. Six months of nothing but swings honed his basic techniques to perfection. He knew the mechanics of the swings perfectly and exactly how and when to maximize his power and acceleration for maximum performance. He appeared to move effortlessly and with much more confidence. Skills were not just "done" they were done to the maximum.

THis made a lasting impression on me and the Zen attitude of the stoic Japanese gymnasts also became part of the template. This followed me through all my training incarnations and has found the perfect final home with the RKC and the concepts of Lo Tech High concept and Deep skill kettlebell work.

The irony that I am back to where I started athletically, working on my swing, is not lost on me in the least. The closer I look the more I see and there is much in the simple swing yet to be discovered by me. And the stronger and better I get the better my vision seems.

11 comments:

Brett Jones said...

An awesome blog Rif - so much is lost when the foundation is skipped. Building the base is the most critical part of any construction project - our bodies included.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks brett and yes it is the most criticalpart of any construction project, especially the body one.

I am still paying the price for skipping the hip/back/ posterior chain building part that most ground based sports create when I spend my youth on my hands,lol!

Franz Snideman said...

I agree Rif. Just now I am starting to even understand the swing in my own body. It really takes years of refinement, failure and experimenting to find yourself back at the starting position......simplicity and efficiency!

Great post!

cayenne said...

Rif,

I'd bet you know this already. Your photo of the '76 Japanese team reminded me of the story linked to below. Years ago, I clipped out the article and I've kept it as a reminder of great dedication and courage.


Best,

Eddie

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/events/1996/olympics/daily/july22/flashback.html

cayenne said...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/
events/1996/olympics/daily/july22/
flashback.html

Mark Reifkind said...

eddie the link didnt work but I am sure you are referring to the gymnast that did the dismount and stuck it with an already broken knee? that stuck forever in my brain too.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz, the older and more experienced I get the simpler my training is becoming. going forward by going inward/

Franz Snideman said...

I hope to follow in your footprints Rif. I have spent to many years damaging myself in the quest for "ego" boosting. What a joke! Thanks for being an amazing example for us all. Your influence is having a ripple effect on many people Rif!

Keep it rocking brother!

cayenne said...

Yes Rif,

Shun Fujimoto...Google his name and you'll find amazing detailed accounts of what he did. Literally, I clipped a story about & photo of him approx. 15 years ago...The photo I have is a blowup of the one you posted, mine focuses on him in that same group photo.

It is worth checking out in terms of "exploring the boundries of the body."

Best,

Eddie

cayenne said...

He is second from the right. Understandably, the only one with a flexed knee, ( the injured one,) in the photo.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz that is a great compliment but I am sure your path will be less insane than mine, lol.

eddie I did google his name and this story came up:

when asked if he would do it again he said
" no, I wouldnt"
his knee still hurts.


glory is temporary pain is forever.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...