Monday, January 22, 2007

Desperately seeking Mondays.

I still can't figure out the exercises and loads that I can do well on MOnday. Still not fully recovered from saturdays snatches mondays is a challenge I just haven't figured out yet.Did cleans for reps, press, scap pullups and rack walk today.
Part of the problem is that my right shoulder is impinged again and doing bodywork on clients just makes it worse. part of my job but the shoulder was tight going in today.

Cleans
36x8/8x2
44x8/8x2
53x6/6x2
63x5/5x2
53x8/8x2

these were ok but exacerbate my biceps issues from all the tight gripping.form felt great though.

RKC Press
36x5/5x2
44x5/5x2
53x3/3x2
44x5/5

these went well as well although the biceps and forerms were aching alot.Took awhile for the shoulder to settle in the joint right.

Scapula pullups
4 sets of 8-10

false grip thumb position. these really helped pull the shoulder back in without involving the biceps.

Rack walk
36#x200 feet per arm, 40o foot laps
1400 total feet.

Not loving this workout. I so wish I could do two handed swings. that would be perfect for this day,with the presses and the scap pullups.

datsit, staying loose.

11 comments:

Tom Furman said...

What about windmills? I teach the standard, then have them do one out of a Yoga Triangle. The shoulder, bicep, and tight pec should really loosen up on this one.

Franz Snideman said...

Rif, I can relate to you on hurting body parts after doing bodywork on clients. As much as I love doing bodywork (and without sounding cocky I think I'm actually pretty gifted in it), it beats up my hands, wrists and elbows. For you it sounds like it hurts your shoulders.

Can you take a break from the bodywork for a period of time?

Tom Furman said...

Bodywork on strangers kinda bothers me. Why not do a PNF session (assisted), or a Jumpstretch Traction session?? Other than my wife, or cracking my kids backs, messing with strangers may pay the bills but you might as well install garage doors since bodywork is alot of work on your body.

Mark Reifkind said...

Tom,

left to right windmills are very hard for me as the combination of a scoliosis and the left to right only twisting motor pattern from gymnastics makes them very hard. add in the forked up shoulder and its not been a good move for me. easier to just work on the shoulder ROM and flexion by itself.

as far as the bodywork I've incorporated it forever along with pnf stretching and other hands on techniques. It hasnt really bothered me til the last year or so.I use a variety of tools to make it easier( thumper, sticks etc) and that helps.
But add in all the volume of kb ballistics bodywork on clients and the tons of bodywork I have to do on myself and it adds up.
I have some serious thumbs...lol.

Mark Reifkind said...

franz,

I am using much more tools and doing less pnf stetching but you know how much clients like it and how well it works.

Mark Reifkind said...

ohyeah, tom, I've had lots of clients for 7 plus years so they dont feel like strangers. but even that doesnt bother me.

Authentic Strength Training said...

Bodywork? Like Massage of myofascial release? You do it all rif. And I hear you. Now imagine what the cold of a Northeastern Winter would do yoru yoru bones! I have snow on the ground and calcium in my knuckes, now that's good training!

Tom Furman said...

I have thumb and finger stuff in my DVD. I hope it helps, they are being packaged this week.

Chris said...

it may be a daft question, but how about get ups? Can you do them or are they beyond what your shoulder can tolerate?

Or to be a bit old school do you have to use the kb? can you do pushups? dips?

Mark Reifkind said...

kettlebell trainer

yes I do my own version of ART and myo fascial release which I developed on myself. works pretty well.I would not survive a nor east winter. I am cold and stiff here in Nor cal. Hawaii or Florida is for my retirement!LOL

Mark Reifkind said...

Chris,

get ups on my right side create problems with ALL my imbalances and joint issues, left side is no problem but not needed. Pushups, dips,etc. are not good for the shoulder either.
I have NO internal structures in that shoulder and then really tweaked the rotator two years ago benching alone. Not been the same since.
No worries though, I'll figure this one out too.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...