Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Z health session.

My first Z health workout today and it was very interesting.I know I keep using the same adjective to describe my ( very limited) experiences with it but it's the right word.The more I do it the curiouser and curiouser I get.
As Tim suggested I went off the manual and not the dvd and this was the right choice. I went at my own,very slow, pace and it was much bettter than having to pause the machine all the time. Yet there are movements I dont know how to do right yet so I have more dvd time to do anyway.
It's like a joint mobility type of yoga and much of the stuff is very similar to what I have been doing in my rifga sessions but from a movement standpoint. The rifga stretches were static holds. But the intent of the positions were the same, neutral, square,plumb as wll as mobile , not in pain and loose. AS the reps are low it really appeals to me as well. Brett,"Mr anything over 3 reps is cardio" Jones is at the R Phase cert this week and will love the low rep approach as well, I'm sure.
I definitely feel looser and better right after the session as promised and some shoulder/biceps tendon pain in arm adduction went away pretty well after some backwards arm circles. The things that interest me the most are the ankle, hip ,thoracic, shoulder and elbow work. I can see it paying big dividends fast. Just the knowledge of what ranges of motion the joints should be able to do without pain is worth the cost of the manual.Its a great little no stress workout that anyone can do and it seems to have great potential.
I can really see my older clients LOVING just the basic mobility work,although you REALLY have to be able to concentrate or all bets are off.But, little pieces at a time will go very far I think.
I can also see what they mean by not moving into pain. If you try to do a joint rotation and it hurts everything around it immediately tightens up. When you are coming from such a relaxed state it is very obvious.This ,for the record, is not what happens on the foam roller for me; I get a lowering of tension, not a raise.I wouldnt do it if the painful area got tighter.SO much is dependent on what an individual perceives as painful, which varies greatly. And, when you have truly damaged joints, and the scar tissue, adhesions and stiffness that accompanies them, you still have to stretch, and so do I, so I gotta go get on the floor.

THis is a great start and Geoff will be here next week to take me through some stuff and get the movements sorted out right.Cool.

9 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

I look forward to ding this with you in one of our M/W sessions. Nice descriptions, gives it good context for my eyes and ears

Mark Reifkind said...

it's simple moves joe, done pretty slowly and its very telling as to what moves well and what doesnt.

Aaron Friday said...

On the ankle tilts and toe pulls, adjust the position of your foot until you feel the stretch precisely where indicated in the manual.

Try a few times, adjust, try again, and then leave it alone for awhile. Stay relaxed, stay upright, and don't get greedy.

Also, do not hold these stretches. Move into them slowly and out of them slowly.

Just a couple important things I took away from the Z Intro a few weeks ago, although I'm sure Geoff will have much, much, much, much, much more.

Royce said...

Rif this is my most respected testimonial to Z. I was, and am, really intersted in it. The fact that YOU are singing it's praises makes it about 10x more apealing to me. Thank you for this post.

Rannoch Donald said...

Rif,

Interesting. Andrea DuCane introduced me to this in Denmark. I was curious enough to pick up the R-Phase material. I love the discipline it takes to work this slowly...very hard for me!

Mark Reifkind said...

aaron,

yeah I loving the ankle work as much as anything. a lot of my knee pain comes from my also messed up left ankle.thanks man

Mark Reifkind said...

slow IS hard but since I am a slow learner it is a must.

reading said...

I know its hard but if you do some effort then it will easy for you. Just look forward. Prescription Drugs | Generic Drugs

wholesaleherbs said...

I like exploring the experience and knowledge of your exact contemporary. Thanks for sharing information.

http://www.herbs-wholesale.com/oscillococcinum-7708.html

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...