Thursday, September 20, 2007

GTG Z

Another 7 sessions of z today.It's easy but it ain't easy. I was way more tired at the end of todays sessions than normal but I feel WAAAY different on my feet and in my shoulders.SOunds ridiculous as I write it but something is different and right away.
For instance, normally my one legged balance on my left leg is atocious as the knee really doesnt line up right nor lockout out fully and so doesnt hold my weight well at all without shifting laterally.
So I've been using a bo stick as balance tool for the last two days as I did my one leg ankle and hip circles and such.Then I noticed that I was able to stand on my left leg without using the stick and without shifting.Strange. I am in a new position on the left ankle for sure. All from some funky circles.
Everyone that did it said the same thing: ' this is cool. it's so easy but it feels so good.'
The ankle work has been long overdue and seems to have a connection, as claimed, with my other side shoulder.Weird.
Its also added something to my rifga stretches as well, as I feel much looser.Lots to learn but I am very happy with the simple tools I have now for awhile. Lots to practice.

9 comments:

Geoff Neupert said...

Good stuff. Keep it up.

Try some opposite side wrist work for your ankle. Possibly even some finger work.

Stay off the Bosu. It'll undo all the Z you're doing. Trust me. I'll show you why on Monday.

Pretty soon, you'll take the red pill/drink the kool-aid. ;-)

Unknown said...

Now you understand my amazement and bewilderment at how those weird/simple ankle moves helped my elbow. very cool stuff.

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff I never do bosu.yeah, mike told me about the opposite wrist for the ankle and I'm doing a ton of finger work. love it.I have a persistent 'clunk' in the right wrist that I never knew about.more interesting.

Tim,

yeah dude it's a trip!

Geoff Neupert said...

I must've misread the entry. Sorry.

Jennifer said...

Mark,
I just got xaught up on your blog after a couple of weeks away, and I see where you're doing this "Z" movement thing, but I couldn't find where you first mentioned it or the explanation of the concept. Could you please give me that link? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Jen Bryan

Mark Reifkind said...

jen

check out Z health on google.Its been a running debate on my, geoff neupert and mike nelsons blog over the months. Its a neurological based joint mobility system that helps increase proprioception, increase ROM and reduce muscle tension and pain.I just started with the beginning stuff but it looks very promising and many people are going nuts about it and its applications.

Rannoch Donald said...

Rif,

After a week of R Phase I did a pistol last night. I've struggled through old hip issues and a nagging problem from a leg break a few years back.

Last night, confidently, down i went and back up again.

The only thing that's changed is I'm doing R Phase.

Interesting huh?

Mark Reifkind said...

rannoch,

very interesting. if it werent for the fact I have such f'd up actual joints this would be working even better I think.certain bones( my fibula for example) just 'fall' out of place without notice,lol.I think moving things around with all this JM might cause some initial problems before things settle down.

Brett Jones said...

Rif,
Once Geoff can eval you and target the drills for you - you will notice an even bigger difference.
Keep on Z-ing

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...