Saturday, August 28, 2010

The KB snatch is back.




What a great workout today. Haven't felt this strong or grooved in the snatch in eons. Just doing some heavier, slow progressive volume has worked wonders in a short amount of time and slowing down the movement has really let me find my groove again. It was lost for quite awhile.

Much of getting it back focused on really focusing my eye position on the horizon and not waivering about it. In the last months I really had a hard time deciding where to look on the ascent and descent and that was messing me up. I used to look down all the time and that worked for the groove but I felt it put me in too much flexion.

So then I started looking straight ahead but that made my groove too 'squatty' and that never works for me. The horizon does and everything else seemed to follow in suit once I re- found that.

Also, training slower ( it's not that slow, basically I go you go with Nick and for these short rep sets its not a long rest bout) lets me warmup better and it takes a long time for my lungs to open, just as it did when I was a runner and cyclist.Suprisingly this didn't happen in the pool and I could go fast early. Interesting.

The last set of 10/10 that I taped I felt I could have easily done another 20 with no problem, cardio and wind wise. That's what I need as I build back up to my snatch test numbers.

Of course putting my time in this week with the swing really set things up well as I hoped it would;and, being able to train and tolerate the two hand swing is going to make a big difference too. I just have to go slowly and not get greedy.


Once I rebuild my 24 kg snatch I will get back to max vo2 work with the 16kg but not before.


warmup: 30 minutes stretching on floor. the usual.

kb warmup
roundabout swing for 30 seconds with 16 kg x 3 sets
16 kg snatch x5/5x2
20 kg snatch x3/3

worksets
24 kg x5/5 x 8 sets
x10/10 x 1 set
20 kg x10/10
x5/5

130 total reps
6890 lbs
This was great, very solid. Had a plan, 10 sets of 10 in arm groups of 5 and then drop to the 20 kg and get some more reps and was actually able to follow as written,lol. AND I had a very solid set of 10/10 for the last set bringing me to 100 24 kg reps in a workout for the first time in eons. And the tens felt strong and easy. Nice.

The down sets with the 20 kg were good too and I thought about doing 2 sets of 10/10 but decided to stop with something on the table.

Two hand swings
24 kg x8
28 kg x8 x 5 sets

This was solid and easy too. also nice.It felt good to go from the asymmetrical one kb snatch to the very symmetrical two hand swing as a finisher. Have wanted to use that forever and now it looks ok. Can't wait to be able to push the volume here as well :))
See, greedy.
Can't help it, I love to train, to move well, to feel strong and enduring. It's addicting.

ps Nick is not the camera man that Tracy is. A bit jangly but you get the point.

1 comment:

Franz Snideman said...

I agree, super solid Rif!!!

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...