Saturday, January 23, 2010

Max vo2 swings and,some snatches.

My back has been feeling good, thank God,(someone knock on wood) and I went into today's workout not apprehensive at all for the first time in a long time. Not ready to do a snatch vo2 workout for sure but not worried that I was going to blow up during any specific rep. That's a good thing.
No, it's a great thing. Starting to feel much more like myself again.I spent the last three days at work standing 98% of the time and feeling much looser in the legs at the end of the day than at the beginning and that's great too. Figuring out strategies for standing without tension, as well as how to stretch out while vertical is an interesting game too. Definitely have to fight the instinct, and the habit, of sitting on the stability ball but as things feel better standing there will be less and less of a drive to do so.

Nick was back in the gym with us today and that was great too. been too long. I decided to go for a strict 15:15 vo2 workout just substituting the one arm swing for the snatch. I decided to stay with the 16 kg as well and go for 10 reps per arm in the 15 sec. I have long arms and a pretty long stroke so I knew it would be not too easy to get the reps in.perfect.

Tracy was doing some insane combination of movements including double snatches and two hand swings in her 15 sec work interval. I tried not to be too envious. She killed it, as usual.

And I did great too with my little swing workout and cardio was not an issue at all. and my back held up great. no pain or stiffness or any twinges at all.I can see alternating the 20 kg with the 16kg pretty soon as well.

Swing Vo2
15:15
16 kg
50 sets of 10 reps per arm
500 swings
18,000 lbs!

that was a suprise workload number. that little weight adds up quickly!

Snatches
16 kg x5/5 x 5 sets
50 reps

I know I said I wasnt going to snatch but I wanted to see how it felt on my back and whether this is the culprit or not. I also had Nick there to check on my symmetry during the sets as well. no problems and I definitely need to concentrate on using my left side more during my right arm snatches. we'll go very slowly here but I don't think the snatches are the problem.

Two handed clubbell barbarian press
20 lb x10/10x3
25 lbx8/8 x 3 sets

these went well. instead of rack walks we did a steady 20 minute walk. no problems

datsit.

2 comments:

Rob O'Brien said...

Glad to see you close to 100%. Stay healthy!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man.it feels much better.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...