Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Ten Tons.

Got a twenty thousand pound swing workout today and, as is the case, it just snuck up on me. I really didnt think today would be a great workout but isnt that how it usually goes? Joe had to work so it was solo today and although I was less beat up from the snatch workout monday than I was last week I could still feel my cns humming from all the speed work. I love that feeling.

I also wanted to back up and dial in my form; with all this emphasis on speed it's easy to get sloppy . I wanted to really be crisp today with full roms. I also didnt want to go too fast between sets as I know I need to back off a bit.Get to teach at the cert in a few weeks and need to guard my health and body.I am getting ready to taper my workloads so thatI am fresh for the weekend.

So it was sets of ten and ten with as much rest as needed between sets, which turned out to be about a minute. I am very pleased with my 'wind' of late from all this cardio style training .I notice it the most in these traditional sets and rep workouts which I have done for years. I know how much they have been taking out of me. I seem much more air which means I can expend more energy per rep or do more reps with the previous output.All good.


one arm swings/24 kg
10/10 x 13sets
260 reps
13,780 lbs

Darcs
6 sets of 20 reps
120 reps
6360 lbs

total weight:20,140 lbs.
ten tons. cool.

most sets were with a one minute rest,although some were 1.5 .I wasnt trying to go fast and topped out on hr at 164 on one set and was mostly low 150's throughout.Just collecting data. Love training data.

Rack walks with 16 kg
1600 feet changing arms every 200 feet.
this keeps getting easier. really helping my gait mechanics too.perhaps the vest again soon as the limitation now is my arms and not my legs/knee/back. We'll see though if the knee can handle another 25 lbs. Can't wait to get this knee replaced.I will be a walking machine,lol.

Stick squats stretches
Stick Slides in rack
Rifga stretching

datsit. staying loose.

BW 162
BF 7.8% havent seen this in a long time.
Water 61.8 as always, when fat is down, water levels are up.

The MVo2 seems to be burning some fat. we'll see.

14 comments:

john said...

Hi Rif,

How do you measure your body fat percentage? I believe you mentioned the device once, but I can no longer find that post on the blog.

Thanks

p.s. Although I seldom comment, I'm one of the silent majority that really enjoys your blog.

Aaron Friday said...

Jesus Christ! 7.8%! You're fat called, and it's lonely, hungry and homeless.

Incredible workout, too. That's equivalent to 2 reps with a 568-pood.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man, I appreciate your kind words and that you enjoy the blog.I use the tanita innerscan scale. I like it a lot and it's easy to use.

Aaron Friday said...

Sorry, that should be "your" fat called. I need some more training in proofreading.

Mark Reifkind said...

aaron, the only problem is that all the fat in my body, little though it may be, is still in my love handles. it's great getting old.

Aaron Friday said...

Just more of you to love, fat man.

Royce said...

Rif mine will stay there if I'm 3%. YEESH!! But really man 7.8% kicks ass!!

Mark Reifkind said...

I don't get too excited when it goes down real low just like I dont get worried when I get a bit dehydrated and it reads 9.5. It's nice but its just another data point on the trendline.overall though, I can tell I am getting leaner as we go.

Pete said...

Volume monster! I agree, the Max V02 is definitely the reason my BF is getting lower. Thank you for showcasing what you have done. I am a self-admitted copycat, and glad of it. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Pete and copy all you want. I have always stolen from the best!Its a sound strategy. Glad things are going well for you

Pete said...

Rif,

your two ton pursuit became an inspiration for me! I hit 20,680. Not all 1 arm swings (nor with the 24kg either), but I was stoked, nonetheless. I posted the workout on my blog.

Pete

juandissimo said...

I couldnt resist after reading the 10 Ton post...I only have a 16kg. I went to 21,000 and was spent big time. My wife asked me why - to which I replied that it was your fault for posting the blog entry .. after all I reasoned ya give a chimp a loaded gun and he shoots someone ya don't blame the chimp...
Seriously though, your blog definitely has inspired me to go beyond my comfort zone with the Kb.

Thanks

kyle cesear said...

I have a question. How are you measuring your bodyfat? Is it accurate? I saw your bodybuilding picture and I could see your abs. That looked like 7.8%.

Mark Reifkind said...

kyle,

I use the tanita inner scan scale. I dont think of any one measurement as 'my bodyfat level' as much as just another data point showing me a trendline. The scale really measures water levels so its a good gauge of hydration as well.
when I was bodybuilding my bf was measured below 5%. how accurate that is is almost irrelevant, actually. I was as lean as I had ever been. I like the scale now to keep tabs on what direction my training and eating is going in.

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...