Monday, August 06, 2007

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Another fun Max Vo2 day at the Rifstonian Institute. I had planned 30 sets at 7 reps per cycle and then doing another 15 sets( up 5 from last week) at 8 reps per cycle. I have always done better with negative split times when running and cycling and this is no exception. I warm up very slowly and getting allthose reps under me before I start trying to go 'really fast' makes it much easier. I will work up to 30 sets of 7's then 20 sets of 8's and then go to 25 and 25 before slowly working DOWN the other way. Goal is 50 sets of 8 reps per cycle. That will be no joke at all.

Max Vo2 snatches
16 kg x 30 sets 7 reps per cycle
210 reps
16 kg x 15 sets 8 reps per cycle
120 reps

330 reps total
11,880 lbs. not bad

this was the easiest day yet although it is stillpure torture. not as hot today as it's been although I still sweated buckets.I wore my heartrate monitor during the workout and averaged between 173 and 184 most of the workout.

30 sets in


Last 4 sets



Halos with 12 kg
8/8
9/9
10/10
10/10

Scap pulls double minis
4 sets of 10

Rack Walks with 16 kg
1600 feet continuous
1 minutes rest( my arms!!)
400 feet
2000 feet total ties pr.

This was a very good day and all the swing and snatch work is paying off. My body feels more square, plumb and neutral than ever and my recovery is so much better because of it.I can feel, however, just how much this snatch protocol works the cns and I have to be careful not to overeach too much adding sets and reps at the same time. Fun stuff though and it's so great to be able to train side by side with my wife although I hardly get to watch her do it as I am trying too hard to breathe!

datsit, stay loose.

16 comments:

Royce said...

Yeesh man, your kicking ass. I start doing the vo2 max protocol next week. Can't wait. Looks like hellish fun :-)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man, I am SO happy to be able to train hard and fast again that I can barely stand it. to be able to push myself again and get a killer sweat is a great feeling. This reminds me so much of my speed squat and bench days ,with the same intense experience of speed power and high forces.
It's nice not to feel that a bodypart is going to tear off if I push too hard,lol.

Royce said...

Rock on man, I'm happy for you. I remember a post a while back where you said you had to give up snatches and it was killing you because it was your last athletic move. Here you are knocing out over 300 of them.
Really man, that AWESOME, congratualtions!!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks course it IS a 16 kg but hey, I'm old I'll take it!

Aaron Friday said...

Wow! That's really good stuff. Seems like you're getting what you need with that approach.

Unknown said...

You're not old Rif, just tested.

Mark Reifkind said...

lol@ tim. thanks man. yes aaron, I really like this training and its made me realize that I get a lot out of lighter but faster training, it harkens back to my gymnastics roots I beleive.
I really only got interested in powerlifting after I discoverd Louie and his volume/speed based approach.2 top sets of a heavy weight once a week ( ala ed coan and capt kirk) just didnt interest me.I had to do WAY more work than that,lol.
I want to play with different weights and differern time frames as well. 3o sec on and 30 sec off with the 20 kg sounds interesting as well.
as well as doing these protocols with swings instead of snatches. might not incraase o2 uptake maximally but it will be a hell of a workout!

Mark Reifkind said...

royce, thanks for reminding me of that. it IS good to be able to still do something that is definitely athletic.
doing them heavier and with longer rests on saturdays is good too.just not too many.

fawn said...

Wow, that looks really nice you guys!

Iron Tamer said...

Good work Rif.

Some day I will visit the Rifstonian Institute of Higher Pain.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Dave, you are welcome anytime!

Tracy Reifkind said...

I have NEVER heard Mark breathe so hard!

Guy said...

Mark,

You and Tracy rock! Sweet! Im glad your feeling better about the harder and faster thing, i have some knocks and bruises (breaks and dislocation) from parachuting civilian and military, nothing falls from the sky except fools and birdshit, so yes i know what a mean. I have never felt better in my life than since i have been seriously kettlebelling.

You and Tracy are such great motivators, I kinda want to see Rif Recipes..I bet you have a couple of good food ideas??

Personal note, from the vids it looks like your getting hypertrophy in your biceps from the V02 protocol (God Bless the Big Dane Feller!) I read in the "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" that excessive snatches built up the arms is this right? Not that big bi's matter (yeah right, my GF loves em!) Have you noticed hypertrophy at all?

Thanks

kyle cesear said...

You guys are amazing. I want to do this workout after I learn snatches better. I have 2 questions. How do you keep from messing up your hands and do you stop the kettlebell up over your shoulder or in front of you? I have some kettlebell videos but I am not sure I am doing it right.

Mark Reifkind said...

kyle,

thanks a lot for the kind words. as far as the hands go you really have to learn to let the bell sit in the hook/claw position in th front of the hand, not a deep grip in the palm. this is a lot easier with the light weights used in this training.

as fara s the overhead position the bell should sit over the shoulder and the arm should be vertical. THis is definitely the case with the RKC snatch test, the SSST or GS competitions.As the main focus of this training is the speed of movement and getting a specific # of reps in the 15 sec work bout it's much tougher to hit vertical as much as I should and go as fast as I want to. I am working on improving that as well.
I do a heavier, lower rep day on sat with the 24 kg with more focus on that aspect of the snatch.

Franz Snideman said...

Impressive! You guys have to be in amazing shape lung wise! I mean the amount of volume you two are doing is astonishing!

when is the product coming out?????????????????????????????????

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...