Monday, August 08, 2005

Snatches and grips, the real test.

Time to give the gymnastics grips a real test ride; today is snatch day-been waiting.Its just like when I was a powerlifter, if I got a new suit in and wanted to try it I had to wait for squat day or you would mess up your cycle. Patience is a virtue.

Snatches with grips
36x5+5 the grips definitely put you in the finger hook grip position.
44x5+5 the groove feels very natural
53x8+8 effortless
x10+10 the same. you can really let it drop and have no grip worries. same for the pull
x13+13
x15+15 all of the above where done sprint style. about one minute half rest/sets

time for the weight test, they passed the rep test.
72x3+3 excellent! havent snatched this in 7 months!
x4+4 really takes the grip out of it so you can drive the legs. wow. hands feel fine.
x5+5 had plenty left in me. this really lets you focus on the leg/hip/back drive.

Snatches/ no grips
53x8+8 now THIS is interesting and unexpected, my grip feels easier and my legs feel more fatigued .It really did spare the grip even as I worked the legs. A pre-exhaust situation. Perfect for me as my legs/hips are my weak point.
53x10+10 grip is good
53x13+13 no problem
53x15+15 wow.

this is good. 184 total reps 92 with and 92 without grips. my hands on the end of the second ladder were starting to feel the reps. I could have done these first and then kept going to the limit of my legs, not my hands. The finger tip grip also changes the lever arm of the kb/arm unit, lengthening it, allowing you to have the hips higher in the bottom position but not lose leverage.

Like a long arm guy has a better deadlift the longer your arms the stronger the snatch pull will be because you can stay more upright.

one arm swings with grips
72x6+6 now this is also interesing. these are HARDER than without the grips.
88x8+8 same here. I really had to work to hold on. the bell goes right to a finger tip grip and that LENGTHENS the arc of the swing, making it harder. very interesting

88x8+8x2 no grips definitely easier!!!! Kind of like the two KB, one hand swing is easier than the one arm swing to me.

bottoms up cleans
44x3+3
53x3+3
72x3+3x3 these are tough when I'm this tired in the arms and forearms..


what a great and interesting workout. so much food for thought.

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...