Monday, July 15, 2019

215 Press attempt(s), 36 kg belt squats,floor pushups, laterals



Weird one. Definitely not enough sleep, about 6 hours. But good sleep and the alarm had to wake me up. Whenever that happens it seems I'm in a haze for the rest of the day and today was no exception. Felt strong though , just flat. Definitely no energy nor desire for grinding out 5 sets of any reps today so I settled in singles and a 215 lb attempt. My warmups told me I made the right decision. 215 lbs told me otherwise though.

Played with the false grip and it worked well til 215. 195 lbs moved fast than ever. Glenn thought it was 175! and that's a great sign all around.

The false grip, as I knew, is easier on my shoulder ( don't have to think about keeping the elbows in) and really is strong off the bottom with triceps but definitely takes away from the lockout which is already a weak link. I don't think I need to experiment with this again. False grip is not going to get me to my pressing potential overhead. Unfortunately.

Just no oomph at all. I took a 10 min power nap before the training and that seemed to help a bit but I am ready to switch this day to Saturdays and come at it fully coffee'd up and mentally focused. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to but I have to commit to giving it a full chance. It really can't be worse than Mondays

Press
65, 85 105 x 3
135 x 1
155 x 1 Fast!
175 x 1 Fast ( all false grip)
195 x 1 Fast!!! best ever
215 x X
215 x X
207.5 x X x 2 this would have gone if I had tried it earlier


On video review I can see that at the sticking point I push my hips forward and that causes the bar to drop. It looks like I need to actually lean back more, or, at least, STAY in the position I'm in but  NOT drive hips forward which is opposite to what I thought. this might be just with the false grip

Just have to remember with the thumb wrap grip to drive with elbows in. the false grip doesn't allow the elbows to internally rotate, which is great for the start but bad for the lockout. Just have to remember to keep the elbows in on the drive with the wrapped thumb

36 kg belt squat
 12,13, 14, 15

legs still tight and tired

Floor pushup
2 x 52 surprisingly strong

laterals with 15's 3 sets

BW 172.2
BF 12.9
W 57.9

Wednesday we'll shift to the new schedule with moderately heavy swings probably 40 kg for 5's and Saturday starts it in earnest. Not sure what I'll do but probably take another swing at 215

No comments:

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...