Thursday, February 15, 2007

Waiting out the tension.


One of my favorite of Pavels book is Relax into Stretch as I could relate to the principles so much as a gymnast. I spent a lot of time stretching out each day before we started training. Much of that time was spent in passive static stretching as we worked on our splits,pikes, and straddle positions.
Waiting out the tension. The principle Pavel writes about probably being the least effective for Westerners as they can't relax enough to do it successfully. Well gymnasts are a strange breed. I remember watching TV each night with my family just sitting in straddle position on the floor trying to get that much more flexible.
Not so far into the stretch that I couldnt stay there, and not such an easy angle that I didnt feel a stretch.Just on that edge. And, every so often the tension would release and ,dloop,you would be a bit lower as the golgi tendon organ relaxed a bit more.
And it's a bit ironic that I've gone back to my beginnings once again using 'waiting out the tension' techniques to relax the muscles. Only this time it's not to get my splits or a tighter pike position in my flips. Its to keep the overly shortened, tonic muscles from living in spasm and getting shorter each day.
I selectively stretch only what is locked short and I think of it as "lets kill the stretch reflex" and it's been working great. I am more square and plumb than I have been in ages.
I've been on the floor a lot today as yesterdays little variety pack got me quite sore, lol! Its amazing what even the little bells can do to you.

2 comments:

Royce said...

RIS is really cool.
Get everything stretched out man, I hate reading your "oops" posts.
Of course, I'm sure you hate writing them one hell of a lot more!!

Mark Reifkind said...

LOL, thanks dude, I'm not really happy when it happens either, as you can imagine.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...