Monday, February 05, 2007

The Power Swing

I was extremely happy that Saturdays hi pull workout left me with no negative side effects. Shoulders back and knees were very happy all weekend. More so than they have been in ages. Using the classic RKC swing form worked very, very, well for the hi pull but I was not so sure for the two hand swing.

Last weeks success with the two hand swing using my bend over style worked well and I've havent been able to use the arched back sit back style in the past without my abs getting overloaded and tweaking my back. Too much hamstring as well and that doesnt help my back either. So I was doubtful and ready to accept it if I had to use a different form for my hi pulls than my swings.

BUt it started good and got better. Of course I really won't know until the next 36 hours but the signs are good already. The swings were strong, my shoulder didnt impinge and the rep count was higher than normal with less exertion. Always a good sign.

I think before I was not breaking at my knees enough at the start and that seems to make all the difference.Like in the face the wall squat some push their knees out to get their glutes engaged at the 20 deg mark; I have to push them forwards as they go out no matter what I do.
This is a VERY strong position for me, with both quads AND hips engaged. The combined center of mass of me and the bell is more over my base than any other form and I feel like I can jump. Also always a good sign.

Now if my back behaves.Of course the more I arch the better my back feels Just SO not used to keeping my head up.

With Bretts comments about the 20 deg knee bend in the single leg deadlift as critical, Geoff Neuperts blogging about having to break at the knee first to get his hips into the squat got me to thinking as well. Chek said the same thing and it worked great for me in all squats; actually starting my squat with 20 deg knee bend. Of course the powerlifting judges wont let you do it.
But it gets me set up right, balanced over my base with legs and hips ready to go. Getting to this position from locked knees has always been damn near impossible for me.

Watching Tracy swing with her amazingly consistent perfect swing groove also made me pay attention. I'm making the same mistake with the swing that I did with my power squat: taking my legs OUT of the equation as I try to do it with ALL HIPS and lower back. BALANCE is the answer. Use my freaking legs. Head up, chest out, back arched and sit back.

And it sure felt strong.No problem on the right shoulder which has felt AMAZING the last three days. ALmost completely pain free! It's freaking me out wondering if its going to last but man it feels good. Feels like it is unimpinged. so weird. almost like my left knee which has stayed in place very well,especially if I put enough time in stretching it.


Two hand swing
36x20
44x15

53x15 60 reps/3180
63x12 48 reps/3024
72x10 40/2880
x 4 rounds

148 reps/9084 lbs

then
53x20x3 set
60 reps 3180

totals=198 reps
lbs= 12,264

barbell press/tactical pullups
25x5x5 3x5

started to feel the shoulder get weird in the pullups so I cut them short and did

face pulls
4x15

the press with the stick felt better than the bar. not sure this is a loading exercise yet. Have to really engage the scapular depressers on the negative rep and shrug up very high on the positive of the press to get the relief I want from it. the face pulls ROCK!

kneeling pushups
3x15
regular pushups
2x5 ( shoulder is fatiguing- cant do these every workout)

Rack walks
36lb kb x 300 feet per arm = one lap.600 feet per set
1600 feet total. this was strong and I havent done three laps per arm in a long time. good burn baby!

BW 161.8
BF 8.2 %
Water 61.5 % definitely hydrated.

gotta stretch,datsit.

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Rif,

experimenting with things is the key as you have always known. What's great is that your body gives you feedback pretty quicly. Quick feedback allows you take the necessary action to tweak the training and heal the body.

Mark Reifkind said...

yes franz, the feeback is usually immediate and sometimes extremely cruel!lol. when it's right it doesnt hurt immediately and whe I can use it it doesnt hurt the next day either. hard process to go through but it is finally paying benefits.

Brett Jones said...

Rif,
Hey - I made Rif's blog!! Sounds like things are going well - Now - don't screw it up! ;)
Seriously - enjoy little pieces at a time and continue to move away from the volume mind set.
Great observations

Mark Reifkind said...

Brett,

Sir, yes Sir, lol!reatched your dvd last night and was so impressed again at it's thoroughness.just like I said when it came out, an instant classic!

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...