Sunday, October 11, 2015

53 lb Ruck

Bumped the weight up a few pounds today and was grateful I didn't go more. Hamstrings and thighs were just a bit tired after all those swings but it finished fine. Just getting back to full loading after a little break. Got stronger each lap until 11 then I got tired
Also only did 5 sets of iso squats. My right hip flexor is getting tighter than the left and I think all the squatting I do everyday is catching up so I backed off these a bit. The original purpose of these squats was to gain ROM and that's been done.
Doing five sets was perfect to loosen up the hips and thighs after a couple laps but I don't think I need ten anymore.

2 hour ruck
53 lbs
12 laps
5 isometric hold squats 30 sec
10th lap = 8:05 ( pretty fast, actually )

KB Presses tomorrow I think

datsit
neverquit

3 comments:

Diana said...

After doing a couple of these, I get a sense of just how heavy your pack is at 53lbs! Sure it sounds heavy, but actually doing one of these with a portion of that weight helps to put things into perspective!
We did 2 miles yesterday on the trails. The hubs had 21.5 lbs and I had 16 lbs. Took us 44 minutes to complete which includes a few stops for pictures or just to enjoy the fall foliage!

When you state how many laps you do, what is that in mileage? Just curious. I would love to get up in mileage versus weight. Not sure if my feet would hold up to carrying more weight! I like the 16lbs, which is, no doubt a workout now, but would love to get that up to 4-6 miles.

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, yes 50+ lbs is no joke! but I built up to it very slowly over 2 years so it's not that bad.I'm not sure abut mileage. the phone gives me different answers each time. I walk laps around a park so it really doesn't matter but it's about .5 mile per lap( .45) so somewhere around 6 miles. I walk around 3 mph
don't mess up your feet anymore! extra weight isn't worth it

Diana said...

Agree about the extra weight.....I have to take care of what's left of these feet.
Thanks!

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...