Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Now, my swing is back!


Well it wasn't exactly gone but it hasn't felt 'just right' in  a long time.Since, of well I could do 400  32 kg one arm swings in one workout no problem or 600 24 kg one arm swings. That was three plus years ago and I've been trying to get it back for awhile.

Today I think I figured it out :)) ( inside joke).
Just as always the answer was for me to do it the way I felt I should rather than the way I thought I should. Bottom line for me is that in order for me to really get my hips to load I have to let myself lean forward; it's my particular lumbo pelvic rythym and it always works, I just forget, or are too damn stubborn, to do it.

I want it to be 'prettier" or more 'technically perfect' but my groove is my groove and then it becomes perfect. when I do it the way that for me , produces the most power and force and tweaks me the least :))

I noticed watching  more of Pavel's old picstures and DVDs that his back angle in the bottom position is almost parallel to the floor. I used to let myself swing this way but thought I wasn't getting enough "leg" into it and got more upright.

Today I leaned more and got way more backswing, way more hip loading , way less elbow flexor ( and hence shoulder) issues and way more power and speed.

The above blurry photo was from that Golden era of my swing and snatch and now I think I have the magic elixir again.


One arm swing warmup
16 kg x5/5/5 x 3


KB press
16x 5/5
20 x 4/4
24 kg x 3/3 x  4 sets
          x5/5 x 1 set
Pretty damn good! Almost no shoulder issues at all. Still focusing on using the scapula tp stabilize the rack position as well as on the descent. Definitely on the right track and things are getting better. right arm felt awesome and could have done 20 rep sets :))

One arm swing
24 kg x10/10
28 kg x8/8
32 kg x5/5 x 7 sets

THESE felt awesome. I got the idea right from the first set and these easily the strongest swings I have done in ages. Could have done toms more sets.Everything was better,shoulder stress, grip stress, back and hip stress, even the knee.

I basically just got out of my own way. What a concept :))


Two hand CB arm cast
15 x10/10
25 x10/10
35 x 8/8x2
     x 5/5

these were very good but tough at the end, hence the last set of 5's.tons of lats triceps biceps, and need I even say it GRIPPPPPPP!!!!!

DB bent laterals
5 sets of 12 reps  12 lbs

need these to balance the shoulder . getting stronger each week

Rev grip band pushdowns
4 x 20


Floor handstands
3 x 8 seconds.
 better but still tough. especially after all the shoulder and triceps work. I plan on putting these on my EOD schedule with the rest of the bodyweight training

BW Legs/ calves
StretchOut
Handstands


toast. it's so much easier to do this when you have a committed consistent and totally dedicated training partner like I do now in Glenn.> The man is Old School and Real Deal and what more could I ask for?


datsit.
Sisu/Never Quit


4 comments:

Frankie Mecono RKCII said...

Kinda of glad to hear that your swing moves around too. You make me realize something,it seems as though these changes happen to myself and my advanced class as we move through cycles. Once we end the volume cycles things have changed slightly or evolved "still great swings even to the trained eye" but those tiny tweaks that are available, and with the deeper knowledge having cycled year after year. I guess our question is where did my swing go? With the volume maybe.

Mark Reifkind said...

Frankie,

Golfers, tennis players, and all kind of athletes "lose" their swing occasionally. High volume can definitely affect things as in the desire to"keep going " technique and or feel for the right position can get sacrificed.

For me sometimes it doesn't "look" right but it feels right and produces more force and power more safely, which is the key.
thanks for reading and the comment.

mski said...

Mark,
While I was preparing for the San Jose RKC I did a lot of high volume swing training. The swing was the one thing “I thought I owned” going into the weekend. I sacrificed quality for quantity and struggled with my technique due to grooving some bad habits. I picked up your “Mastering the Hardstyle Swing” DVD following the RKC and I am definitely back on track. This DVD is brilliant! Now I practice each part of the swing (quality) rather than just workout (quantity). Thanks! Glad to see you have your swing back too!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Michelle. we are quite proud of the dvd glad you like it and it helped. that's why one of thekey RKC principles is practice before training.

one has to always go back and practice the skill to make sure it is perfect and stays that way before loading it too much without a re check.

good for you! and me, to get my groove back ;))

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...