Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Rif Basic KBs Workshop


I am off to do my first solo KB workshop/ seminar to a group of 40 personal trainers at Axis Personal training in Menlo Park, just a few miles from my studio in Palo Alto.Tried to get it scheduled for another weekend so I didnt have to miss another heavy swing workout but no go so it's one more day for the peak before I get to start my rebuilding cycle again. No worries.

This should be lots of fun and I will be teaching the basic six kb drills but it's gonna be a long 8 hours with ton 'o demonstrating so I will get plenty of work in.

Hopefully this is just the start of another new aspect to my business to go along with teaching privately and the certs. Tracy, Joe Sarti and Jordan will be assisting so that will make it tons easier to cover so many people.

I hope these people have been doing some decent free weight training, or some kb training, as 7-8 hours of working with kbs, even with just light weights and practicing technique, will wreck them pretty well if they haven't! Don't want to kill anybody,lol.Gotta go load some bells!

11 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Man, 40 people is alot!!
Even with good assistants, that requires good eye detection doesn't it?

Franklin said...

Congradulations! Thats a huge workshop you've put together .. how many KBs of various weights are necessary to supply 40 people?

I remember my 1st workshop with Mandla Nkosi, RKC II. It was "only" a 4 hour workshop and he warned everyone to go light. We started off with Z drills and I thought this wouldn't be too bad. He had U.S. Unit bells and I chose a 45lb bell thinking I didn't want to tax myself .. hah!

By the time it was over I could barely handle the 25lb bell. I was sore for weeks!

Bill Fox said...

Congrats man - good to see them being smart enough to bother to learn the right way to teach, and good to see you getting the gig.

Mark Reifkind said...

takei,

it turned out to be 30 not 40 but it was tough keeping an eye on everybody and still keeping the pace up. Joe,Jordan and Tracy helped out tons.One thing I do have though is a good eye.

Mark Reifkind said...

franklin,
thanks man but it was the training center that put it together.everything went very well although we finished at 4 not 5.they were seriously dead even though I took it easy on them :))

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Bill,
it was a good time.made some great connections and they got a taste of what the RKC is about.principles, concepts and methods, not just the exercises. A lot of info to digest in a short time.and I loved doing it. have to do this more often.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes with your 40 mammal roster. they are sure to know the way of the lat after 8 hours. It's a lonely Saturday and I am at home rereading your Length/tension notes from last LII. great stuff.

W2

Franz Snideman said...

Awesome Rif! Good to see you out there teaching your knowledge!!!!

Hopefully there is many more solo workshops for you to come!!!

Mark Reifkind said...

W2,

they definitely know the way of the lat; and the hips and many other parts that I'm sure are fully sore today.
Doing this workshop for non RKC candidates just reminded me of how tough the RKC is, and how determined the candidates are. This group was dead half way through!

Mark Reifkind said...

franz,

thanks man and I hope the same.I do enjoy the group dynamic as well as one on one. Kiss Marianna for me :))

Jordan Vezina said...

Thanks for having me at the workshop Rif, it was good to have a first hand view of the whole thing.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...