Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Train the Will.


I have always believed that THE most important component to training/athletic progress is the ability to make yourself do what you need to do to , as opposed to what you want to do. This is true in all aspects of life too but it is so obvious in the realm of physical training that I do not know why it is not emphasized more.

Coming from many years of competition/coaching athletes I was amazed when I started working full time in"personal training" and realized that discipline was a four letter word in the fitness world.It had been replaced by 'fun' and ' variety'.

Discipline, and the ability to exert one's will to create from mere thoughts what one wants physically is an absolute necessity if progress is to be made.And, of course, that is still no guarantee that you will succeed but without it I can almost guarantee that you will NOT succeed.

To being able to make yourself do that what you do not want to allows you to create virtually anything, whereas the inability to make yourself do things that you consider "unpleasant" or, God Forbid, not fun won't let you accomplish much at all.
Because, even if you picked your parents well and have great genetics as your starting point, at some place in that road you will run out of genetics and confront, yes, that which you do not want to do. For one reason or another.

Whether it is putting down the fork earlier than you want to, or setting the alarm earlier than you want to, or even just DOING the workout that you know you need to do to get what you said you wanted you must have the ability to FORCE yourself to bend to your own will if you are to succeed.

Because the Will, and Discipline, are every bit as adaptive( in either direction) as your muscular or energetic system is.And failure to train , with overload, these abilities will result in them getting weaker, smaller and unable to respond when the need arrives. I believe we are either getting weaker or stronger, with every single act we make. When we choose to go in the direction of what our stated goals are we are getting stronger. Or weaker, when we rationalize or delude ourselves into thinking that "just this once' it won't hurt to skip the workout, eat the crap we swore we wouldnt, or whatever the action is that we have decided( in a much stronger moment/frame of mind) is what we want to Be. Or Have.

All those little victories, those daily PRs add up, just as all those missed attempts do.Research has shown that winning raises testosterone and losing lowers it.In anything. Set the goals low so you can attain them, win, get stronger and set higher goals.But set the goals and make them happen.MAKE them happen. Make them.

It's not just what you do in the gym that matters but what you do in your LIFE that matters more. It all starts in your head, and, as Arnold said, you have to create it first mentally before you can create it physically.

If you're not motivated find things that motivate you and keep them around you ALL THE TIME. So many don't seem to think about their workouts til the shoes hit the gym floor.How can anything good come from that? If it does it will be from dumb luck not planning. Whoever said no one plans to fail but many fail to plan was right.Then, the plan has to be made real.Thought, Word, Deed.Think it, say it, do it.Simple as that.
And if you don't, try again. And again; til you do.

For me it's come down to two things: one-I have a clear image in my head of what I want to be able to do and how I want to look. Not just clear but CRYSTAL CLEAR.And as I climb higher and see farther that adjusts as well. But I am always shooting for a goal.Even if it's seemingly unattainable.Shoot for the stars, you may end up on the roof.

Two-I may not have much talent but I try hard not to be outworked. This was completely true when I was younger and competitive but still very much the same now in my dotage.It's taken my three years to unscrew myself from the damage I did and build up my work capacity to where I can really train hard again and I won't let all that work slip away easily.There is as much to be said for momentum as there is discipline.Both go hand in glove.

People are so afraid of suffering; as if a little discomfort will kill them.Suffering builds character if applied properly. Practicing willpower and discipline in small bites are great ways to increase both attributes.Choosing to NOT have something you want,just to see if you can do it, is an easy an harmless way to begin.

When I was training for ultramarathons I did a lot of fasting, as I was convinced this would help me be a better fat burner, a key quality for ultra work. This wasnt just a willpower exercise but I would go and sit in a doughnut shop and have just water,letting the smell of the doughnuts surround me. Yeah I know I'm nuts, but it worked well. Just being able to overcome that increased my inner strength and willpower tremendously. Pro Bodybuilder Scott Wilson could get almost as much satisfaction from just smelling a food he wanted when he was dieting as he did eating it.Well, almost. But he never broke his diet.
It could be something as simple as leaving some food on the plate when you want to devour everything and get doubles.Or doing the pre/rehab you know you need to do but aren't that interested in doing.Pick something. Anything. Then make it happen. Will it to happen.
And see how much easier it is the next time. Life is hard; tough is good.
Train your Will like you train your favorite muscle or exercise and see how much stronger everything gets. Go ahead , I dare you.

19 comments:

Pamela MacElree said...

Awesome

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Pam, you are a great example of what proper will power training brings about.

Adam said...

Great stuff-this is a message i share through my strongman work-before the wrench bends to will, i must bend my will to my demands.

As always-very thoughtful post Rif

Mark Reifkind said...

very well put Adam, I really like that:
"before the wrench bends to will, i must bend my will to my demands"
thanks man.

Petr said...

So true... And I know so many people who would respond with something like "why bother, why not just enjoy the life and drink and eat and sit and watch telly ?".
Yes, different view, different abilities and different attitude :o)

Chris said...

inspiring stuff...

Mark Reifkind said...

Petr,

I think people are either pleasure seekers or workers. Pleasure seekers try to find the easiest and least intense way to do things. workers do what is necessary to get the job done. to them that is pleasure.accomplishment.
to me weak just feels bad. in the body. I hate that feeling and will do what it takes to feel strong. in body and will. to me nothing feels better and makes me feel as capable of doing what I need to be doing.
in the gym and in life.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks chris

Tommy Shook said...

Good post Rif. So few people in this world know what "hard work" really means. Cus D'Amato once said that the will to win far exceeeds the skill to win in a champion. truer words have never been spoken.

Jordan Vezina said...

It's so true that people regard suffering even in the pursuit of glory to still be a vice. I make a point of telling my clients at the end of every session "You survived another one." and often I see the light turn on, and they realize that they were just in a fight to reach the end. It's good for their character.
I'm still working on that thing about seeing the alarm. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

tom

thanks man,as you would suspect, I totally agree with Cus.

Mark Reifkind said...

jordan,

while I admit that my intense pursuit of my goals did not help the impact on my body, the impact on my spirit and psyche was profound and well worth the cost. The overflow to all other areas of my life are undeniable.in a good way.
and you are right about the 'fight'.I especially felt that way every time I stepped under a squat bar.Like I was getting into a fight with a seemingly unmoveable object.Stand up or get crushed. And when you don't get crushed you are in another place.

Tommy Shook said...

Yeah me too man, unfortunately I have some of the long-term neurological impairment to show for it;(.

Mark Reifkind said...

tom,
there does seem to be a pretty high price for that view of the world,eh?

Pamela MacElree said...

Thanks Rif! I really appreciate that! I've been turning on the more mental aspect of training, especially in the past few months. It really carries over into other realms as well.

Mark Reifkind said...

pamela,

your consistent dedication to your practice and your progressive pursuit of goals and deadlines is to be admired and emulated.you can't do that stuff without a strong will and solid discipline.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Thanks.

Edmund Meinhardt said...

I spent more than an hour today breaking up a wall of ice with an axe and a splitting maul so I could get my car out. On the way back in the house I sort of decided to skip the kettlebell workout. Worked up a sweat swinging the axe, right? Then I found some junk food and sat down at the computer -- and read this post. It was like roaring thunder and bolts of lightning. I began to squirm. Thoroughly chastened, I threw away my chips, breathed a deep sigh and began my ladders. I'm so glad I did. Thanks for the kick in the pants, my friend.

Mark Reifkind said...

edmund,

wow! thanks for the comment man and so glad I could help.reading stuff like that is exactly the effect I am hoping for!
"It was like roaring thunder and bolts of lightning."

love that. well done. and thanks for the comment.

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...