Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Courage corner

and so it was today. I swear there was heat rising off the platform in the garage today,lol. There's nothing like knowing the work that lay ahead on those days( which seem to be pretty frequent of late) that you would rather do anything than get started.

So now I focus on the skill of mental discipline as it is much harder to come by these days than physical discipline. The courage to do what I set out for myself regardless of the desire to do so at the time ;} As hard as it is I am really enjoying( afterwards) training alone. It truly is a test of my mettle when there is no audience, No encouragement and no other energy than what I bring to the table. ANd a number I have already convinced myself I should obtain.

Snatch Hi Pulls
36x5/5/5/5

44x10/10/8/8/6/6= 48 reps/set

x five rounds= 240 reps /10,560 foot pounds.

28 minutes.

Interesting. I did the same 240 reps on May 31 but used heavier and lighter weights

5/31/06
High Pulls Ladder
36x10/10
44x8/8
53x6/6 Five ladders= 240 reps in 25 minutes

total volume: 10,300 lbs
36x20x5 rounds = 3600 lbs
44x16x5= 3520 lbs
53x12x5=3180


Interesting that the heavier work sets were the lowest in total work and combo of the heavier and lighter work produced less total work than the constant weight for the same total number of reps.BUT the it was pretty darn close.

Oh yeah, I got a serious pump in my , ahem, glutes. Guess the hip snap is actually working right.

Pullups
7 sets of 5 ballistic. 35 total

MAN I was weak as a kitten here. I did them without the pauses and they were HARD! I the hi pulls killed my arms and shoulders it seems. I do get a good shoulder/trap podriv( yank) as I hip snap.

Waiters walk, 36 lbs.
each arm x 100 ft equal one lap ; 4 total laps

These actually felt good! even my right shoulder. the light work paid off. ALso, now walking on sidewalk not grass. time for a change.

bw 161.8
bf 10.4%

total workout time 50 min.

datsit, stay loose!

8 comments:

Ken Black said...

I hear you on this Rif but we are all there with you bro. Better than the alternative;)

Mark Reifkind said...

thats for sure. backing down once is a very slippery slope.

Franz Snideman said...

Mental disipline is key.Working out alone, when no one is watching or even cares, is the true test of manhood, integrity and keeping your word to yourself. Nice post and nice numbers!

Tommy Shook said...

Rif, here is a quote you may enjoy.
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."
Marshal Ferdinand Foch's 1914 dispatch from the battle of the Marne.
Never surrender!

Mark Reifkind said...

cool tom.I do like that.

and franz,thanks for the kind words.I agree with you too, obviously. I just wish I didnt have to do it so often,lol!

Mark Reifkind said...

oh and tom cool website, adding it to my links.

Royce said...

Yeah Rif I echo Ken's sentiment for sure. I appreciate the advice you gave me, I REALLY enjoy and get a lot of inspiration from your blog. And your posts on the forum have taught me and others a lot.

I always have a hard time with the start also.

It has been hard for me to learn to workout alone in the house when everybody else is asleep, I am a very social peron. However the discipline is flowing to other parts of my life, and that is way cool.

If my opinion matters at all I think you opitimize the kettlebell lifestyle. And you have the knowledge and desire to back it up.

I hope you become a SRKC, you deserved it way before there were some openings.

Peace. Stay Strong.
Royce

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks so much royce, your opinion does matter to me and I do try to live this lifestyle as best I can.
I wish I could say it was for altruistic reasons but the reality is I have no real choice. Training,competing and studying the wisdom of the body is my life. who I am have always been.

I have also always been a coach and a teacher and I truly love to help people gain from what I learn from training.It always comes back in spades.

225 x SO CLOSE, 220 x 1 ( 34th) 205 x 1 x 5, laterals rear delts wt pushups

 This was GREAT! So close on the two plate and wanted to take it again. But I took 220 instead and came  up with one of my all time bests wi...