Monday, January 25, 2021

Great Press day- 210, 215,220 lbs! floor pushups, one arm laterals

 

All the pieces of the puzzle fit together today, even though I went in feeling way off and still not sure of the hip/ press sequence. But we got it sorted out quickly and the rest of the workout was golden.

I always say  I've almost never  had a great day on a day I felt great going in and today was no exception. Particularly unmotivated today and pretty much down right apathetic about the whole thing.
Not having much confidence that I would ever really figure this thing out didn't help either but as I also always say, just suit up, show up and do your best and occasionally you'll have a great one

Today was that day.

I was confident about the unracking, setting the box and spotting the X but then wasn't sure what the next piece was; do I push to the face and then drive the hips, try to do both simultaneously  or drive the hips first then press to face? I knew press to face was a key but where to put it.

I first tried simultaneously driving hips and face push with 205 and it stalled

So that wasn't right. Next up was push to face then drive the hips and this 210 told me that was 100% spot on
Man that was butter! Easily the best 210 press I've ever done and one of THE best presses over 200 I've ever done.Push to face and then drive hips under is it.

I also HAVE to keep my eye on the X and I think I lost sight of it on this 215 although no complaints, it moved great




I had plenty of confidence and some aggression built up for this 220 and it motored too! Man I am happy! Felt no need to go 225 as I wanted to leave on this high note

Next up 205 for 3 sets of 1 and they were solid too. Last set I re-focused on spotting the X and it was the best rep. That's a key

Cues:
Spot the X on the unracking
Load the bow and re spot the X,PAUSE
Press to face then drive hips

Felt SO good and so NOT hard when I am under the bar

Floor pushups
3 sets of 60!
not a PR but can't remember last time I got three sets of 60 or more!

I did remember to "catch" the bottom of the pushup position with my rhomboids and take the pressure off my pecs and delts. I think I've been overfocused on loading the tri's and not using successive induction in the eccentric rep

One arm laterals
3 x 8/8 with 20s
Bent laterals
3 x 10 with 20s

BW 176.6
BF 14.1

Put a star on this one


2 comments:

Whosonfirst said...

Mark,
Great press day is right! Soon 50 lbs. over your bwt. What spacing are your hands on the pushups? Thanks. Trace

Mark Reifkind said...

Hey Trace

I use a medium grip on pushups, hands very slightly wider than my shoulders, elbows in. I really think of it as a triceps exercise to work the muscle and the lockout strength and not tear up my shoulders

and thanks man, very happy with this technique hope it holds!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...