Saturday, January 12, 2008

Watching the wheel,climbing the hill.

Whenever I train high reps I always get brought back to my cycling days;especially climbing hills. It's so tough, mentally as well as physically, that it always reminds me of those long climbs where you learn very quickly NOT to look up and see just how far you have to go to finish, but just at your wheel and what's immediately in front of you. Same thing here.

I put all my swing and clubbell pr's on the chalkboard and realized I should do a 5 minute SSST with the 20 kg so I decided to do that for todays snatch workout.Was scheduled for the 20kg anyway. It's so nice, and amazing, that I feel I can push myself again without fear of something falling or ripping off like it has in the recent past.All the re and prehab and the consistency of building volume is really paying off. Felt nothing after Wednesdays 50 sets and figured I was good for 100 reps no problem here.

5 minute SSST with 20 kg
warmup: Z and floor drills 15 minutes
16kgx5/5/5/5x2
20kgx5/5x2
then:
10/10 on the minute for 5 minutes: 100 reps.

This was good. the first 3 sets I completed the 20 reps in 35 seconds and had a nice rest before the next set.The 4th set I took 45 seconds and waited 30 seconds before finishing the last 20 in 30 seconds and getting my 100 reps in 4:55.
The only problem with this is that I do really poorly if I dont get a huge warmup, cardiovascularly, before I do a max effort. THis will be obvious from the next exercises and the times performed.I just dont want to push the snatch before I test it; I probably should use the swipe as the warmup and then go into the snatches:

Two CB swipes with 10's
100 reps in 5:04
100 reps in 4:53
100 reps in 4:39

Each set get faster as I got really warmed up. Five minute rest between each set.This was good.

Mills with 10 lbs
50/50 in3:52
50/50 in 3:28

the second set I really got a groove.

Flag presses
25lbs x5/5x3

Two handed mills( practice)
3 sets with the 10

Very very solid workout.Was hoping to do more snatches before I went to swipes but it worked out fine.

datsit!

4 comments:

Adam Steer said...

Mark,

Slow down man! You'll be kicking my ass with those Clubbells before I know it... LOL

Adam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notes. With the CBs I find I dont really have the energy to work them hard after the swing and snatch work I have been doing. Since I only have the single 15lb Im trying to focus on the CB on the days when I am swing and snatched out as a recovery day. PS...Reading over Tracy's blog is really what got me to attempt the higher rep swings, and I have been thrilled with the quick increases in my work capacity. Thanks to both of you for the freedom in which you share your ideas.

Mark Reifkind said...

adam,

lol, not quite although I keep that 800 rep set in mind whenever I have to do any high reps,lol!AND lets not forget they are the ten pounders.

Mark Reifkind said...

britt,

my pleasure and Tracy is flattered you would use her training ideas.Swings are really such an unappreciated tool for incredible conditioning gains.
The cb groove is so diffent than my kb one that it doesnt seem to bother me much,except if I have to go maximal.
cbs seems to really de load my joints after kbs.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...