Monday, January 14, 2008

More than one way to skin a cat.

Saturday kicked my ass.All the fast snatches and hundreds of swipes left me sore in the legs and hips and triceps yesterday and today I was just flat.Not much glycogen left for high rep swings, and the 28 kg was on the menu.I was feeling strong, just not energetic so I decided to focus on low rep, high power swings and see what the total ended up.408 is my PR so there was lot of work to do no matter what the rep configuration.

One arm swings
16kgx5/5x3
24kgx5/5

28kgx5/5x30 sets
300 reps
18,900 lbs.
75% intensity

wow. this was a revelation.I haven't done any low rep, super high power swings since I felt stable enough to do higher reps but I can see I've been missing out.The more reps you do per set the less force you can exert on any one rep. Just a basic fact.Maximum force output per rep fatigues the muscle much quicker as much because the lower endurance white fibers are recruited. I totally focused on compensatory acceleration, full hard hip snap and downward compression of the floor. No holding back, hell it was only five reps.
Plus,as I warmed up, as usual, the rest periods got shorter but I wasn't concerned with that and went as fast as I felt ready.the 28 felt light and each rep was maximally powerful, for all 300.Very happy with this output as well as suprised. I will have to include more of these low rep sets for the heavier bell and clubs.
This ended well with me feeling more energized and stronger than when I began. Perfect.

One arm casts
10x10/10
15x8/8
x10/10
x12/12
x14/14
x16/16

very solid.

two handed shield cast
15x8/8
25x8/8
x10/10x3 sets

as usual anything I do with the 25, even with two hands is hard,lol.

BW 162.3
BF 9.1%
Water 60.9%

Datsit.

4 comments:

Brett Jones said...

you are skinning the cat alright - great work. Low reps feels good - eh?

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, yeah, they did. but I like them so I can't do them too much :))

Taikei Matsushita said...

"28kgx5/5x30 sets"

This format sounds like a nightmare for me. When I get lazy, I choose snatch over swing.

Mark Reifkind said...

takei,

then you should try it, at least a few times :))

gamba!

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...