Saturday, January 05, 2008

It's about time.

Lately I feel like I have entered a new level of ability, physically and it's been great. I have lived to train hard my entire life and not being able to for the last 7 years or so has been hell. I have worked hard to really establish as deep and wide a base as I could, hoping, but not knowing, that it would allow me to really get back to a high level of strength and condition.Breaking things down to just the movements that I could do that didn't hurt me( swings, snatches, walks) and eliminating those that did( squats, presses, bilateral work) let me build up slowly without breaking me down.
Add in all the body balancing work I did and it seems that it is finally paying off.As the base grows the top end grows just by default and this is what it feels like now. I can push myself a bit again, and instead of getting wrecked by it, I can adapt and grow! I have really,really missed this.Training without being able to expect much in the way of improvement is way tough.Just doing it because you know without it you would be much worse.
There are still many things I can no longer do or should try to do.I have orthopedic restrictions that will not change.And that's all right with me. I am so happy to be able to train with the exercises and movements that I can use that I prefer to focus on that and not my limitations. And now with the clubbells and whole new doorway has opened.Another tool I can use that not only doesnt hurt me but helps rebuild me.
Plus, who knows what's next?
Today the 24 kg felt like it should, like the 16 kg feels.Light. I can't believe how much benefit I have gotten from those so light, but so fast max vo2 snatches.Mass X Acceleration really does equal force and moving light things fast really create lots of power. Power is good.
Having more gas in the tank from the vo2 work also makes things lots easier and I can really feel this effect.

Snatch
16kgx5/5x2

24kgx8/8x12
192 reps
10,176 lbs
All reps done as fast as possible with a solid stopped lockout position.It really felt the same way I do when I snatch the 16 on wednesdays! exactly what I have been waiting for. Being 163 instead of 159 helps a bit too.Takes mass to move mass. I would have done 200 but I'm not greedy and I had a big set to do with the clubs next movement.

Two Clubbell swipes
warmup:
10's x10x2

15'sx100 reps/ PR

wow! this was tough but very good.grip definitely much harder than the tens.Again started off slowly and picked up the pace considerably the last 30 reps.this is a very strong movement for me.Didnt have much left, though after this but next time I won't snatch first,lol! a 50 rep pr, not bad at all.

15lb Mills
15/15
20/20
25/25
40/40 pr
100 reps each arm

ouch. didnt want to do that last set of 40 but also didnt want to do 2 sets of 20 so I just went for it. also a pr.played with a higher catch position before the turn that worked well.

well, not a bad day at all!recovery after all these sets if very quick and I finished feeling like I could do more.

datsit

5 comments:

Adam Steer said...

Nice Mark. Looks like you are really doing well. Great job on the Swipe Century with the 15s!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man.I still have a long ways to go to perfecting this movement but I really enjoy it.I was thinking about your 800 reps as I was getting through the harder mid part of the set to keep things in perspective.
this was a 50 rep pr so I was very happy with that. the 200 rep set with the 10s gave me confidence as well.

Adam said...

Rif

posts like this is why i love your blog man. Too many people in the world complaining about what they can't do, and how they are so limited, and then here you are-20 years older them most of them, kicking ass, taking names with no excuses. I can't wait to train with you at the cert this April.

Mark Reifkind said...

adam,
thanks so much man, it's really appreciated. I can't beleive though that I will miss you at the april cert- I am going in may to denmark and then in june; not scheduled for the april one!
I had to learn early to focus on what I could do and not what I couldnt since what I really lived for was taken away so early.
and having lived in serious pain for many years makes you VERY appreciative of the most basic of human movements.

Howie B said...

Awesome Rif. Very good to hear how good you're feeling and doing as we as how strong you're feeling. I can't wait for the day when the 24kg feels light!!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...