Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Max Vo2 snatch PR

50 sets of snatches on the table today with a desired 25 sets of 7 reps per 15 sec cycle, and 25 sets of 8's, which I've never done before.With only 4 weeks in the wave lead up to the 50 sets this thing seems to come up quickly but each time I do the 50 sets it's geting easier and I have more wind so something must be going right.Solo again today which always makes things so much more fun :))
You pick it you play it.Get to work.

Max vo2 snatch 16 kg
25 sets 7 reps per 15 sec
25 sets 8reps per 15 sec PR
50 sets
375 snatches PR
13,500 lbs

This was actually not bad. The first 25 sets went by easy, almost and then the middle part, which usually sucks the most ,especially when I have to speed up, was strong.Like surging in the middle of the race and having some gas in the tank. thats nice; it's been awhile.Form has been solid and consistent.Having to go fast forces it's own efficiency on the movement.Sweatin like a dog.Love it.

Two Handed swipes
10lbsx10/10
15lbsx10/10

25lbsx10/10
x10/8 ( second side getting tired.lol)
x8/6
x6/6 rested between arm, 30 seconds. this is kicking my arms ass.this bastard is heavy.
15lbsx25/25

I need to practice more now with this and keep the reps low and the form crisp. at least with the 25lber.The 15 was fine for reps.

Mills 10lbs
3x15/15

when it's light this is so relaxing to do. very fluid and releasing of the shoulder.love it.Slowed it down and really focused on form, on all the component parts moving at the right time. Oh yeah, did the most Z drills with clients that I have done in 5-6 weeks. LOTS of them . I forgot how that plays with your cns.

BW 161.8
BF9.7%
water 59.6% ( I knew it was low.Every % under 61 I am represents 1% BF on the scale.So if I hydrated to 61.9% the scale would measure me 7.7 %.)

datsit, dats enough, I'm tired.

13 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Solid job on the snatches....the volume is getting up there....and you are no doubt ready to tackle this challenge!

Glad to see that your training is always productive, effective, and ALWAYS CONSISTENT!

Petr said...

I don't have a 16 kg bell, just 24 so I tried this protocol.
I couldn't do more that 6 per set I'm not that fast is snatches but I managed to do 50 sets (25/25) of 6 per set, so 300 snatches.
I was TIRED after that also the day after. Not sore but exhausted.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz, this is getting better each time.When I can do 50 sets of 8 I will be very happy; and much fitter.

Petr,
6's are a good place to start.and yes it is exhausting. thats why I wave the loads from 35-50 sets over 4 weeks.
hey, you offered to analyze some video for Kenneth, how about Boris snatch video here? its a great example of HS technque, I wonder what the forces are.Should be a good angle for analysis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pcsjgr3RBI&eurl=http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Petr said...

Haha, that's funny :o)
I did this analysis two days ago as soon as he posted it (I also send him results hoping he could find them interesting).
Results are here http://flickr.com/photos/pruzicka/sets/72157603688191007/, both Boris and Ginko results are visible. Even without precise results and measurements it clearly shows differences and trends in snatch movement and technique.
Boris snatch is here http://flickr.com/photos/pruzicka/2183666132/. And here is snatch of Vasily Ginko http://flickr.com/photos/pruzicka/2182879881/. x value is time, y is force produced. What is interesting is first peek, that is beginning of snatch (KB is somewhere between legs, just starting to rise) but the second peek as well (this is the descend from snatch).
Second peek is almost the same as the first one, in Ginko's case almost exactly the same (even the force output values).
In Boris's case second peek is lower.

Why ? I dunno, but may be Boris applies too much force
(unnecessary ?) that is needed to snatch KB. So Ginko is possibly much more efficient (using only force necessary) in the
lifts (as force to rise KB is just a bit higher that force needed to lower it)?

mark blakemore said...

rif,
do you train in front of a mirror? ive heard different thoughts. one say its good because it lets you "see" your form. the other says its best to "feel" form.

curious as to your take. great work by the way. ive been following along with your training from a distance and have been the happiest in a long time. simple and effective.

thanks rif.

Mark Reifkind said...

mark,

I never train in front of a mirror.same with powerlifting. it really would throw me off.You definitley want to develop your proprioception of that the body is doing. If I had a specific problem I was trying to 'see' I would do some reps in front of the mirror to try to find out what the problem was,but anymore I would just video it.

Mark Reifkind said...

petr,

that is funny, thanks for that. Is there a way to see the graphs more clearly, they wont 'expand' and I can't read them well. can you write down the numbers for each? what is boris's peak force value and ginko's?
remember also, ginko is only trying to produce as much force as necessary to snatch the bell whereas boris is using the snatch to teach his body to produce max force.

Petr said...

Mark sure, I have all those data available, I will try to find a way how to share it.
"remember also, ginko is only trying to produce as much force as necessary to snatch the bell whereas boris is using the snatch to teach his body to produce max force." - yes I realized that as well and if this is the case they are both on the right track.

Mark Reifkind said...

petr,

thanks, just the peak force values for each would be great. good to hear someone agree that both techniques have their use :))

Petr said...

Rif, try it here http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pOD4SQevxfN-IzrLYLlLTJA&hl=en
it should be possible to save to Excel or something and analyze it at home. Please remember, this is far cry from being precise and 100 % correct etc. It's just interesting.
As for technique goes - sure, I'm all for both styles each with it's own usage. Anyway for Boris - it would great to increase this gap between those peeks even more right ? The second peek, descent should remain constant but if you get better in technique or/and power first one should go up right ?

Petr said...

Sorry, one would need Google account, try this link - http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pOD4SQevxfN-IzrLYLlLTJA&gid=0

Petr said...

Oh, one more thing - screenshots on Flickr could be expanded if you click on "All sizes" icon. Graphs and numbers are easy readable than.

Mark Reifkind said...

perfect, thanks I can read it clearly now.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...