Monday, May 21, 2018

Strict Press practice full pyramid to 175 lbs, goblet squat/one leg box squat, floor pushups, lateral combo

Since I was switching back to press on Mondays and was tired coming in I decided to do a singles workout working up and see what I had. Pretty decent and  I wasn't really WARMED up until 40 minutes in! That told me something

I actually liked this method very much and might play with it for awhile. Work up to a heavy single in small jumps ( let fate decide where it is that day) but stop after a hard grind and then rep it back down.

Can't hurt to try. I've been doing sets and reps the other way for years

Strict Press

45 x 5
65 x 3
85 x 3
105 x 2
117 x 2
135 x 1
150 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1
165 x 1
170 x 1
172.5 x 1
175 x 1 ( grind)
155 x 3
145 x 4
135 x 5

this was excellent! Lots of very specific practice.

Goblet squat/ left legged box step up
20 kg x 3/ 5
24 kg x 3/5
28 kg x 3/5
32 kg x 3/5

I really like this single leg box step up. did them in the cage and used rails for a balance check if I needed it. This will work well going forward as it really works the left leg but doesn't involve the right at all

Floor pushups
3 sets 20 STRICT and slow

These were not easy!

combo laterals
sides then rears 3 sets of 8/8 15 lbs

BW 169.4
BF 13.1

datsit! very happy with the press!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curious about the Goblet squat/ left legged box step up? Not sure what you're doing here. Just from reading your blog, it sounds like you have knee issues as I do?

John

Mark Reifkind said...

John

I HAD knee issues. I had a total knee replacement 5 years ago and am always making sure my left leg stays up, size and strength wise with my right.

I did goblet squats and supersetting them with the left leg only box step ups
thought it would be good but it hit my gluts more than my quad and I need quad size

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...