Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Swing time in Stones Gym

Stones 2006
It was a long day at work today and, for many reasons, I just didn't want to train at Girya today. Wednesdays workouts have become a challenge and the energy just wasn't good for the big dose of swings that I wanted to do.

I also didn't want to train outside so I decided to clear out a space in what used to be my garage gym, once called Stones( as in, do you have the Stones?) and go back to the future. My own little courage corner for sure. What used to be a seriously solid garage gym is now, well more garage than anything, although that is about to change as well.

But for now the great wood and rubber platforms are covered with boxes and books and all kinds of things that are being stored and, last but not least a bunch of kettlebells.

A few kettlebells, a solid place to stand and some good energy. That's all one needs to train,although a great stereo playing loud and serious rock helps a ton. So I got back on the platform and went to work. I immediately felt great and it brought back so many good memories of seriously intense workouts I've had there over the last 10 years.

I put on Tool and started my one arm swing workout:

One arm swing

uphill and downhill rep ladder
16 kg x10/10 x2

24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10
x10/10
x9/9
x8/8
x7/7
x 6/6
x5/5
180 reps
9540 reps

These felt great and the groove was as solid as it's been in eons. Felt completely natural,completely me .Good bell height, hip snap, shoulder position and good crispness. Most excellent. It's not the 600 rep PR I did a few years but I know now things are back on track and I plan on training in the garage now every Wednesday.

KB Lunges
16 kg x 8 reps x 5 sets

as usual did these with the bell in the left hand with the left leg forward for all sets. This builds my weaker left leg and stretches out the tighter right hip flexor. Always feels good after I do these, a good sign.

Datsit:))

7 comments:

guy said...

Rockin, that Swing Workout Bossman! I thought you were'nt a fan of Up & Down Ladders though? I'm going to try that!

Mark Reifkind said...

guy,

thanks man,normally I don't but it seemed appropriate yesterday. I wanted to make it harder than just starting over at the bottom but not as hard as staying with 10's. worked well.

kizzy said...

I love this line; "And in those simple beautiful movements I remembered what was really important in training; that consistency trumps intensity; all the time. That intensity is born from consistency. That one cannot force it, one has to lay in wait for it, patiently, instinctively, calmly and be ready to grab it when Grace lays it down in front of you."

--kizzy vibram

Aaron Friday said...

I always thought Stones Gym looked pretty sweet. It would be great if you could reclaim it.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks kizzy, I do like it myself :))

Mark Reifkind said...

aaron

thats the plan. we have deforested the outside of our home, painted inside and next is the gym. I need it back.

leah said...

wow... i just wanna say that this article was very great Sport Video i really like this this. thank you so much....

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...