Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Long Cycle Clean and Press




This is such a great exercise; in some senses the perfect combination of a ballistic and grind move all in one.you have the obvious swing component in the clean,which in my opinions gets little of the respect it deserves, and the strict press, perhaps the basic of all the high tension kb moves, done back to back for any number of reps and sets,or for time.

It's a very start/stop exercise and as soon as you get the rhythm of the swing start you come to agrinding( literally) halt,then zip everything up and create tension.

But, with that alternation of tension and relaxation there is their own rhythm which comes out quickly, if you are feeling good and not at all on those tough days.

Today I was feeling good for no good reason and the groove came early and easily. nice to have those days.I had taken it pretty easy on saturday for obvious reasons and wanted some decent amount of not too heavy work

And, as usual I didn't know how I would feel til I started training so I planned on going light first for a few sets and them jumping up; kind of a kb pre exhaust if you will.
or , if you are more powerlifting minded, a Sheiko approach. I like this, as it really let me get wamred up with the lighter weights and still lets me go heavy.

You would think that doing multiple sets with a sub maximal weight would tire one out but it just seems to get me warmed up fully and really let me set my groove into place

6-7 am joint mobility with Tracy's class then 40 mintues of static stretching focusing on overhead stretches in horse and front stances. this is my new thing in my stretching routine and I love it. I am even doing overhead stretches while in a wide stance squat, very good, but the overhead work while in a karate style lunge are the best and really stretch the back leg side from lower quads through the abs and up into the pecs and lats.

I do both straight overhead and then each arm to the ear one side at a time, all the while staying in the lunge stretch stance.

kb warmup
one arm swings 16 kg x5/5/5/5 x 3 sets
kb cleans 16 kg x5/5 x 2 sets

long cycle clean and press
16 kg x5/5x2
20 kg x 5/5
x 6/6
x7/7
24 kg x 5/5 x 3 sets

these felt the best in the longest time, both the cleans and the press. all so very light with good speed in the press

see saw press
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 5/5
x 6/6
x 7/7

haven't done these in ages and they were perfect after the strict presses.

two hand arm casts
15 lb x10/10
20 lb x10/10
25 lb x10/10 x 3 sets

gotta get a bigger club or do more reps/set. these are getting very easy, love it.

one kb lunge( left leg forward only)
16 kg x8/8,
x9/9
x10/10

good to have these back in the mix. they help balance my legs very well.going to play with two kbs but still only using the left leg in front

datsit, only an hour to get it done.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Mark,
I'm definitely "digging" the clean and press lately as well. The other night after work, I was tired from a long day-achy legs, blah, blah, but still wanted to do my strength workout. So I did nothing but pressing......from a kneeling position! That was awesome! Gave my legs the break they needed after a long day of work, yet let my upper body get the grind it asked for!! Cranked out see-saws, doubles, and singles with every bell I own! 8kg up to the 20kg! It's a "whole" different story pressing a 20kg from your knees! Only did the left, but that leaves the door WIDE open for another accomplishment when I hit it on the right!
I'm keeping my eyes open on the schedules for the 1-day recerts...I have some time yet and the marathon is tops on my list for 2011, but then it's time to bring the re-cert onto the front burner....hmmmm, could sunny CA be a great place to do that???!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Tracy!!

Roland Denzel said...

I hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Roland

guy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sir, to you and the Mrs.

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

tall kneeling or half kneeling presses are cool. the hardest part of getting a heavy bell into position.medium bells are good.

gray cook uses that position as a key assesment in fms. good thinking!
be so cool to have you out here for your re cert

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...