Thursday, September 02, 2010

Older Comrades

as Chief Instructor Pavel said in his Hungarian Gazetta interview, need to reduce their volume of training but not their intensity.

"Less doesn't mean lighter" Pavel said, " this is something that older comrades have to understand;as you get older, lighter is not the answer, you have to keep training heavy, just reducing the volume, that's what you do."

And that's what I did today. An early wakeup and a long straight through day with 7 clients left me pretty shot at 1 pm and heavy one swings on the menu. I've been adapting really quickly to warrior dieting again and I knew that once I got started I would have some decent energy. the question was for how long?

And, I haven't done one arm swings with the 32kg for some time and that was todays basic plan too. Who came up with this btw?


So I was thinking hit the 32 for as many low rep sets as seemed safe and would set me up for my 24 kg snatches on saturday and live to swing another day. Lots of clients traveling next week and I should have more training time.

One arm swings

16 kgx5/5x2
20 kgx5/5
24 kg x5/5
28 kg x5/5

32 kg x5/5 x 5 sets
28 kg x5/5 x 5 sets

120 reps with something I would consider work weight. It has to do.

I was surprised and impressed at how light the 32 felt and how solid my groove felt. Nice.Really focusing on keeping my eyes on the horizon(intersection of floor and wall ) is really paying off. It seems to make everything else fall into play.


Datsit.




3 comments:

jockeRKC said...

Simple but effective work Mr Rif =)
We dont get older just better ;)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Joakim

for the nice review on your blog as well as getting my dvd.

as I am more pressed for time I am amazed at just how effective these short but heavy workouts are.

and as Pavel said in the interview as well

" I don't get older".lol.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the same thing. My training goes to shit when uping the volume too much. However, I am keeping things light now and slowly easing back into training. A friend wants me to give Strongman a try now that NA Strongman has a 50 plus division. He is a beast and probably just wants fresh meat. We'll see. FWIW, I am 54 years old.

BTW, I want to drop a ton of weight for health. Where can I learn about this Warrior Diet that you mention in your blog?

- barney

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...