Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Heavy press , light swing

I got what I wished for today, the chance to do my workout before I had to work. The only problem is I wake up pretty stiff and tight and usually need a good 3-4 hours of being upright before I even want to think about lifting anything heavy.

I bit different from 1997 when I opened the gym at 5 am and usually had 400-600 lbs on my back in one form or another by 5:30. It was good to be young,lol. Of course I'm paying for it now but, you play, you pay.

So I had to adapt and adapt I did.It's all a state of mind and you can choose it and change it.So I did and got into the idea of training in my totally quiet kb dojo, by myself and with no music. Just me and the bell. Nothing to distract and no one else to please.Back to basics. A kettlebell meditation.

So I led Tracy's class in joint mobility and then went right into an hour of serious stretching from 6-7 am. It's interesting that even though I am taking more time to stretch and roll these days I need it less and less for pain reduction. Now, I just want to increase my athletic flexiblity and ease of movement. Hell, I almost never have to use the thumper anymore!

Then straight into presses:

One KB Press
16kg x5/5 x2
20 kg x5/5x2
24 kg x3/3x2
28 kg x2/2

32 kgx2/2x2!
28kgx3/3
24 kgx4/4

Nice.The 32 kg was very easy although it did get out of the groove on the second rep on the right side for some reason. I haven't quite figured out the eye position on this move as I have on the swing/snatch and I have to fix that. Becomes very apparent when the weight gets heavy,lol,

Good to have the 32 kg in my hand , and overhead again,as it seems like it's been awhile.It hasn't but the difference between the 28 and the 32 kg can be much bigger than just the 10 lbs it is.
I was thinking just some singles but it went up so easily the double just happened.Again, nice.

Two hand swings

24 kg x10x10

It is so cool that I can do these. Went heavy on Saturday so I wanted to go lighter and faster today,especially since I have a high volume one arm day scheduled for tomorrow. this fit the bill and the rest periods between sets were between 15-20 seconds

Handstands

5 sets of 10 second kick ups

these were very strong.suprisingly so and my bretzell, t spine mobility work and overhead stretch work is really paying off here. Kicked up to the wall then immediately pulled the feet off for the hold.Still have problems finding 'overhead' easily as my hips and legs ( as small as they are) are heavier and bigger than they were when I was a 130 gymnast. New center of balance. This is a good day to train this, after my presses, really gets the rotator stabilizers as well, good for after the heavy presses as well.

Bottoms up walks

decided to do this after reading and hearing that Dr McGill really likes this as a spine stabilizing move from Pavel. Much tougher than I thought. started out light because I know now that being able to do something does not mean my body is going to like it the next day, so easy is the starting point.

12 kg x 60 feet each arm
x 90 feet each arm
x 120 feet each arm

very interesting differences from right to left. have to play with this much more.

Datsit!


No comments:

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...