Friday, June 13, 2008

Now, getting Bikrams out.

As I've said before, if it werent for Z and my devotion to regular old fashioned static stretching I would never have been able to tolerate the flexion work that is so predominant in Bikram Yoga. SO many postures and motions where the knee is pulled very close to the body, the head is pulled very close to the knees and the back is round. Now there are many other poses where eveerything is in extreme extension. I haven't counted but I bet they are close to equal.BUT if you have any lower back issues, or a tight front panel or anterior chain, flexion moves can mess you up in a heartbeat.Especially if one doesnt know how to distribute the loads off the joints and into musculature.
But I'm still not sure I will be able to tolerate the flexion without my own brand of extension moves. I did tons of straight leg situps these last few practices and I havent done any type of ab work or situp in 5 years or so. This is what began to unwind my overally tight abs and psoas and let my back heal. SO when I tolerated them these last sessions I was impressed with myself. BUT I have also been getting tighter and tighter of late so I decided it was time to get myself back over the ball. Especially when someone told me to stretch out my diaphragm and I realized I havent been back over the ball or hanging from the bar in eons.SO:

1) back bends over stability ball. I use a 75 cm and really spend some time opening up the abs and hip flexors.to the side as well. great stretch for the lateral lines.

2) Hangs from the chin bar.Being short here has its advantage as I can get a full grip on the chin bar and when tight myheels are just an inch off the ground. when my back opens up I can stand flat footed. A great test for my back length.

3) prone cobra/upward facing dog. A classic and perfect for working the tough to reach without destroying your ac joint- serratus.

4) Stick slides and overhead stretch.THis is what will get me back into my handstand. ALmost square enough in the thoracic area to play with it.You can really lean into at the top and get a great diphragm stretch here as well.

datsit.

No comments:

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...