Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Snatch, Front squat, pushups, walking lunges, shoulder sled



Wow. One year ago today I was getting ready to go into surgery for my TKR in the morning. It's been a year and I can hardly believe it.What an amazing thing this knee replacement has been for me, there are almost no words to describe just what a different life I have now and how wonderful it is. Just being out of 24 /7 pain would have been good enough, but to also be able to walk and squat, and lunge and hike, also pain free is beyond amazing.

It really hasn't seemed like a year has past; and I've been accumulating more ROM, movements, skill and strength the whole time. Pretty much constant and consistent progress and that has certainly made the time go much faster.

It seems like I can squat deeper, walk further, swing heavier and move better everyday. What  a blessing and a gift. And I make sure to be grateful each and every day as well. I don't have to think back much to remember how my life was just a year and a day ago.

I thought about doing some anniversary challenge to commemorate the year, some kind of high rep leg challenge but then decided not to risk anything by being stupid. My legs are doing great but they are also more TIRED than they have been as I am doing so much virtually every day. Staying on schedule is the celebration.

But I decided to do some snatches today, What the Hell. My shoulder ROM has not been significantly changed by not snatching these past few months and my best ROM was a few years ago when I was deeply into Snatch Vo 2 training so I decided to start with my oldest favoritest kb movement, the snatch

Snatch
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5 x 3
24 kg x 5/5 x 3

interesting. this felt way harder than I remember but not in the overhead position! Just SO much forces all over the place to deal with. So much "heavier" than swings. That bell falling down from totally overhead and back again seems like double the ROM of swings and twice the forces. Crazy.
BUT my right shoulder ROM was BETTER than my left ? WTH? Both felt pretty good although the 24 kg felt very heavy in the hold overhead. 20 kg was goldilocks :)

But it felt good to snatch again and I can see going back to max vo2 and staying with the 16 kg. that seemed to give me the best overhead ROM of all but we will see if I can move tomorrow:)

KB Front squat ( single )

20 kg x 3/3 x 3
24 kg x 3/3 x 3

these went well although I still need to mirror to maximize depth. No worries.

parallel bar horizontal pushups
4 sets of 13!

shoulders felt fine.

Walking lunges( on concrete not the lawn)
4 laps of 100 ft
much easier than on lawn but I have to wear knee pads - tapping
TKR knee on concrete not smart

Shoulder Sled
3 laps of 250 ft 95 lbs

now I'm tired three is enough

Rear delts
blue band 3 x 12

datsit. Solid We'll see if I had snatches back into the mix. I could do squats on saturdays after one arm swings that might work well. then pushups on monday and snatches on wed.


nevereverquit

the workout that took me over 50,00 snatches


2 comments:

Kettlebell Courage Corner Seattle WA said...

Awesome post Mark. I have greatly enjoyed reading about your progress over the last year. Various nuggets in your blogs have helped me with mobility, technique, programming and above all motivation. Thank you.

Mark Reifkind said...

thank you Chris. glad someone is still reading and getting something out of my journey.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...