Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Double 22 kg front squats,pbar pushups, walking lunges and the Hang Challenge



I've been going in this direction for the last week but seeing Ido Portal's 15 min hang challenge sealed the deal for me. I had to serious adapt the rules of the game when I did his 30 minute squat challenge but it really helped me open up my new knee and learn a lot of stretching out very tight tissue. It's all about waiting out the stretch reflex, and while I did enough for my knee I haven't been spending enough time stretching out my lats and teres major. Well, not enough to make a real difference.
Starrett talks about needing 2 continuous minutes of stretching or smr to change the tissues and I wasn't getting that overhead. So Ido's idea was perfect. PLUS he focuses on one arm at a time and that REALLY helped make my scapula open up.
I still will do bilateral hang stretches but with as close a hand spacing s I can, to mimic the overhead position I am working towards.
I can see building up to where I can hang off the floor one arm at a time( true brachiation)
This is a great example of what I need to re claim


But even with the little bit I did today the shoulders felt MUCH better and the tension in my lats noticeably diminished. Great start.

But this was Leg day

Double 22 kg front squats


Needed to have a light/medium day today as I teach on Sunday and this was great. I did 8 sets of 3 and could have ground out fives but not this week

one arm swing warmup 16 kg x 5/5/5 x 2

Goblet squats
16 kg x 5
20 kg x 3
24 kg x 3

Double front squat
2 16s x 3
2 20s x 3
2 22s x 3  x 8 sets

these felt solid and as deep as I've gone. Accumulated at least 45 minutes in a deep squat today during work and that is feeling better and lower than ever. Still more in there :) I could actually feel it as a 'rest' position today for the first time- my calves resting on my hamstrings! that is a first.

Horizontal pushups on pbars
4 sets of 12

superset with

Blue band rear delts
4 sets of 12  ( blue band is one step up in resistance)

no problem.recovery from monday fine.used a medium grip and leaned out over the shoulders a bit more than Monday.

Walking lunges
4 laps  of 100 feet

strongest ever but I really didn't want to do them :)
squat sit for recovery

Shoulder sled

4 laps of 250 feet

shoulder straps sliding off but otherwise very very strong. semi crouch semi run :)

3 minute Arm hang

this is going to really help me turn the corner on my overhead position and shoulder health I have no doubt

I just have to do it :)

datsit
neverquit




No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...