Wednesday, December 30, 2009

100 24 kg snatches.

Not in a row. That would be decent, but for me, today, it was almost as good. Just a few weeks off a pretty nasty back setback doing 10 sets of 5/5 with the 24 kg in the snatch was very, very satisfying. Way less scary than last week when I literally did not know what was going to happen to my back set to set. And that was only 5 sets and 50 reps. Today the weight felt light, the form felt solid and I was almost confident I was going to come through the workout unscathed.

With my beautiful and seriously hardcore wife cheering me of I thought that anything over 5 sets would be a sucess and I ended up with ten easy. No worries on the back and the form felt solid. Back to bare feet from my olympic lifting shoes felt right. It all felt right and i made sure to really concentrate on letting the bell 'swing' and not pulling early with my arm, but letting the hips soak up the stress and reversing it as strongly as possible. Followed the snatches up with 120 swings with the 24 to chin height and they felt strong and solid.
Why did I ever stop training the swing completly? Crazy. Never again

Snatch
12 kg x5/5 x2
16kg x5/5 x2
20 kg x5/5 x2

24 kg x5/5 x 10 set
100 reps
5200 lbs work

One arm swings
24 kg x 10/10 x 6 sets
120 reps
6360 lbs

wow, I've forgotten just how much pure work swings are. These kicked my butt. I made sure to swing them solidly above the chest but they were working me hard. too hard. I made sure to really keep my hips square and my kneecaps pulled up and the glutes tight for every rep and this made 20 reps seem like a long time. I can't believe I've done 600 reps with this weight and 400 with the 32 kg. seems like another lifetime ago. I will do it again.


datsit.

4 comments:

Rob O'Brien said...

Nice work Mark. Swings are tough especially after you move away from them for a while. But they make you realize how powerful they are. That 1000 rep challenge kicked my ass!

Keep up the good work and stay healthy.

Happy New Year to you and Tracy!

Best,
Rob

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man

more snatch vo2 tomorrow morning. If my back continues to hold up our race to 50k will be close, I promise.

Rob O'Brien said...

Good times. I have to go to a meeting in Boston next week for work. No kettlebells for a few days. I am back to regular training but I have to admit that it is hard not to snatch almost every day. It has become addicting and there are worse things to "feel the need to do"!

I hope your back hold up!

Rob

Mark Reifkind said...

rob

thanks man, so far so good. I couldnt imagine snatching everyday,lol. too much.I'm right behind you though.

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...