Saturday, July 05, 2014

24 kg one arm , two hand swings, clubbells and pushups



Back on track today after getting silly sore from that tiny workout on Wednesday. As is usually the case after I take any time off from real training, the first workout back makes my body feel like I've never trained a day in my life. But it doesn't last long.

Back to the grind with speed/ volume work with 24 kg. Felt great, actually. After the first few sets that is

30 minute roll, stretch, hang warmup
Rear delt work: band rear delts, band overhead scap pulls and band pull aparts.

the rear delt work is already paying off, shoulders feel much better


One arm swings
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps
10,600 lbs

really worked on the overspeed eccentric loading but not TOO much, I know how sore this cam make me.

Two hand swings
24 kg  x 10 x 7 sets
70 reps

again focus was overspeed eccentrics and maxing out power. felt fast and solid.

One arm clubbell shield cast
10 lbs x 10 x 3
15 lbs x 8

want to be able to do these again but they felt awkward, tight and weak on the first two sets. Got back into  as I went but I love the clubs Plus I want to be able to swings my swords more easily
My new addition to the Guardians of Stones Gym
Leon next to his big brother Magnus.
Close grip pushups
4 sets of 10 ( on pbars feet on floor) these worked great

Ring extensions
3 sets of 10,8, 8

the pushups toasted the tri's. perfect

Back to the ruck tomorrow. can't wait but I don't expect it to be easy even after all the pack walking around airports and sweden last week :) Doesn't matter, it'll get done

 datsit
neverquit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi rif,

I am some Kind of a runner, think i was at some time. No i am out in the trails again. But i dont want to Loose my muscle mass amymore. So. Strength Trainer a lot, army style. Whats your take in muscular runners, even in short ultra Races? I mean you posted some time ago the link to a former marine who also runs.

Mark Reifkind said...

Hi Kathrin

I think it's important, and seems to be the case, that ultra runners carry more mass/muscle to help absorb and deflect the shock of all that distance.

Frank Bozanich was the ultra runner I was referring to. David goggins is a Navy Seal that is also a sucessful ultra runner that while not heavily muscled is very strong ( world record in pullups :) )
so stick with the basics and lower reps its a very good idea

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...