Monday, April 28, 2014

Jefferson DL, 2 KB front squat, belt squat and sled



It was a very long day yesterday. A great one but very long nonetheless and I was on fumes when I got to the bar today. Still wanted to practice the Jefferson DL and I'm glad I did.Lots of time spend in the squat position today and work and the groove keeps getting better and easier. but it also works the legs as well.
Not quite sure what to do with this lift so this was just a feel out session

Jefferson DL
135 x 1 x4
155 x 1 x 2
175 x 2 x 2
196 x 2 x 3
175 x 2 x 2
155 x 2 x 2

It reads like a lot of work for sketchy ( for my back) looking move but there was lots to try to figure out. foot position, hand position, grip, chest position, initiation forces ,etc.

But the great thing is that if felt uber easy and strong AND surprisingly square for as torqued as it looks :) the weight felt light off the ground and at lockout. This torque must counter MY torqued spine. We'll see, of course tomorrow morning but it already survived the nap and many potential new lifts don't make it that far.
Here's the rear view



and after watching Dave Dellanave's tutorial on it I don't think I am squatting down to the bar enough. I approached much more like my old DL hinge and I think with my new found squat prowess the squat approach will be better. I have to think of it as a leg move, not a deadlift.

I also think my rear leg has to turn out more and that I should use the mixed grip as my right hand kept wanting to inch out.I don't think the hands are going to end up equidistant from the knurling either. It is the quintessential aymmetrical lift it seems.
It will either kill me or cure me :)


I should give kb jeffersons a  more in depth look at well. Only the beginning.

2 kb front squat
2 16s x 5 x 3
2 20s x 3 x 3 sets

these felt good after I went wider and basically looked up as I descended. It helped the arch and for me not to lean in and hinge it instead of squatting. the weight felt light BUT my abs lit up FAST after the jefferson's. :)

Belt squat
32 kg x 12
          x 14
          x 16
          x 18

all touching the floor. even with the 32 I will have to stand on plates very soon. these felt great and it's  a LOT of leg work this day.Brings back good memories

sled pull
95 lbs x 250 ft x 4 laps

this was heavy and tough from the first lap. slowed the pace and went into a lower gear and I was fine. I actually hadn't felt like I had done much work today , which is the exact way I want to feel. that's the work capacity that all this heavy weight, high volume ballistic work builds..Finally getting into real shape.

nap time, I am beat

datsit
neverquit

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...