Monday, August 11, 2008

It's good to be back in the body again.

Man I hate traveling. Just freakin hate it.I love teaching at certs but I sure do hate getting out of my routine. It totally messes up my training and anything that messes with my training and my simple, basic life is tough.I have trained for shit for the last two weeks and I can really feel it. I have just never been one of these "catch as catch can" workout guys. I need regularity, consistency and stability to make progress. Otherwise I feel like I am just going backwards, perhaps slowly,perhaps not so slowly, and it makes me nuts.
Plus I require lots of 'downtime' in the form of active and inactive rehab: stretching, Z drills, yoga, meditation and just rest to really be at my best and being on the road is just not conducive to it.
That being said I am SO glad I went to the CK FMS workshop although my head is still spinning from all the insane data ,exercises and drills. Hell, the SYSTEM itself, that it will take some time to really "grok" it. But this is the real deal for corrective exercise. Of that there is no doubt. Gray Cook is a freakin genius , the Pavel of corretive strategies if you will, and his system is as good at what it does I would bet, as the RKC is as what we do.
But getting back to my home, and my routine feels SO good.
I did do a little swing/snatch workout at the cert yesterday during lunch time and it felt good. I have to learn how to do these little workouts and not stress about them not being " real" training. Just something to get the blood where it needs to be

Sunday's workout
snatches
16 kg
20 kg
24 kg x 5/5 x 5 rounds

these were done as straight sets. A set with the 16, rest, the a set with the 20 then the 24 the start over.Light and fast.Got to train alongside SRKC Jeff O'Conner which was great. The man is just freaking STRONG.

Swings
24 kg one arm swings
5/5 x10 sets
100 reps
short and crisp work

THEN

during the corrective exercise lab we were doing we had to do Tall kneeling presses.SO basically you are kneeling withe the hips in full extension and pressing a kb with one arm
I haven't pressed ANYTHING in a year and a half and brought out a 16 kg so as not to mess my delicate :) right shoulder up.
Long story, short I pressed the 16, the 24 and then the 32 kg EASILY and Team Leader doug Nepodal was my partner and witnessed it. It's no big deal as far as weight except for the fact I ahvent pressed anything in so long, weigh 10 lbs less than I did when I pressed it before AND it didnt hurt at all.ALl those snatches and snatch holds really DID re-build my rotator. way cool.

Today

One arm Swings
16kg x10/10
20kg x10/10

24 kg x10/10 with 36 seconds rest between sets
10 sets
200 reps

24 kg transfers
20 rep sets with 36 sec rest between sets.

this was very cool as I was alternating work sets with Tracy as she did her 36:36 mac Vo2 protocol.I didnt think I would get near as far as I did with 1:.5 work to rest ratio,especially after all those missed workouts but it was no problem.

Clubbell Arm Casts
15 lb clubs x 10/10 + 5/5 sheild casts as well

just trying to time things to Tracy's work to rest ratio. This was just a get back on the horse workout.

Snatch holds
16 kg x 72 sec per arm, 4 sets each.

again more work to her work rest ratio. It was so good to hear Gray validate how solid these and waiters walks are for stabilizing and working the rotator cuff and the shoulder in general.One of these days I will be able to do waiters walks on the right side. Can't wait.FOr now these will have to do.

datsit. REALLY REALLY REALLY need some sleep and some rest.And get back in my routine.

12 comments:

dr. m.c. said...

Rif,
from the airport in TO en route to LHR.

Yup the southern pavel of corrective strategies, agreed. I think Brett did an awesome job, too.

Really great to see you, and to meet Tracy. I relate utterly to your down time req's. - me can hardly wait to drop this pack and just decompress on every level.

But so glad to have gone. It's so cool to have a tool that i know as the practitioner it's so solid i can't f it up, too, and that if left to its own devices (just run the protocol) will do good things for people. Wow! is right.

Take care, sir. Will hope that despite your loathing of travel, we'll connect again in the not to far off future

best to you and Tracy

mc

waterboy1 said...

Its great to have you posting again..

I do miss your workouts (they are inspirational to a newbie like me)..

Keep it all coming and hope to meet you one day.

Just missed you at the Los Angeles cert..

Take care,

d

Jordan Vezina said...

Rif, sounds like the cert was excellent from everything I've heard. I'm looking forward to a new date popping up on DD.com

Mark Reifkind said...

mc

yes the southern, jeff foxworthy Pavel,lol.great to see you again and yes despite my loathing of travel I will do what is necessary to teach at certs and workshops which I so enjoy.
Tracy says hi!

rif

Mark Reifkind said...

waterboy1

yes sorry for the absence but this time it was more about energy to post than the lack of connection that was the case in ucla. back to the routine, which will include regular posting. glad you are enjoying them.

Mark Reifkind said...

jordan,
you would LOVE this cert. right up your alley. like chek on steroids.

BJ Bliffert said...

RE: half kneeling presses - my ass is so sore...I guess we know what hasn't been doing it's job!

Great to see you Rif, I wish we had more time to catch up, the weekend went so fast.

Take care friend,
BJ

Mark Reifkind said...

bj

so good to see you and kori again! suprisingly my butt wasnt sore from the kneeling presses.I want to do the 32 kg again I jsut need someone to hand it to me,lol.Nepodal helped me out last time.take care man.

Aaron Friday said...

Hanging out with Rif
Some words are necessary
But not too many



Thanks for everything, Mark. Hanging out with you was just what I needed.


Thus the Master travels all day
without leaving home.
However splendid the views,
he stays serenely in himself.


In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.


Express yourself completely,
then keep quiet.
Be like the forces of nature:
when it blows, there is only wind;
when it rains, there is only rain;
when the clouds pass, the sun shines through.

Mark Reifkind said...

Aaron,

thanks so much for everything this weekend,especially yours and Fawns impeccible hospitality.
I can say this without hesitation; I felt as comfortable ( minus the stair :)) as I do in my own home. Can't say that about anywhere else.
and thanks,also, for that quote from the Tao,it was exactly what I needed to see.See you again very soon and thanks again.you guys rock :))

Gabi said...

My head is spinning too, it was just plain outstanding, the "real deal", absolutely!

Congrats on your presses, sounds like you had some WTH in addition to all those AHAs of the weekend :)

It was soooo great to meet you, I just wish time hadn't flown by so fast, I only realized Sunday afternoon when you were about to leave already that I came to talking with you way less than I'd have liked to, ehh.

Mark Reifkind said...

Gabi

it was so great to meet you in person as well and I also feel like we hardly had a chance to talk.the weekend did fly by fast and there was so much data my head felt like it was going to explode!
the presses were absolutely freaky. I'm almost scared to try them again;I don't want to ruin the memory,lol.
you post on DD defintely made it seem like this was a transformative event for you. way cool.take care

rif

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...