Saturday, January 15, 2011

Coast to Coast to Coast.


The man of the hour. Tim, that is. Back stage at the Oz show.

Man, it's been a whirlwind last two days. We left for NYC 4:30 PST on Thursday and left back for San Francisco 7:30 EDT on Friday,lol! Sandwich hours of car rides to get to and from JFK airport and back lots of walking in airports , hotels etc and this could have been a serious disaster for my knee and my back.

Anyone who knows me at all knows how much I hate to travel. Most think it's just because I'm a recluse and I need my cave of power to regenerate my strength and creativity, which is mostly true. But the main reason is that walking has just been hell on my left knee for many years and basically I only have so many 'steps' in that knee per day.

When my knee runs out of steps then my back takes up the slack. Not nice.

I can run out of steps on some days just walking to my gate at the airport from my car.:)) I need a knee replacement and have for years but there just doesn't seem to be the time,especially of late and, to be honest, I'm a bit worried I might end up worse than I am. Logic would tell me that's almost not possible but the 'devil you know', etc...

I have been a fan of corrective exercise since 1998 when I took Paul Chek's Scientific Back Training course and saw a way out of the vicious cycle I was in as well as way to really help my clients do the same thing. A methodology, a principle based system of approaching one's training by balancing the body and realizing that the order of training had to be obeyed:

First flexibility/mobility, the stability, then strength, then endurance, THEN and only then, power.Of course all of these things have to be worked on simultaneously as well but the percentages have to relate to one's real needs in real time.

If you can't use bodyweight then you don't need more resistance, for instance.

Anyway, I took off on the corrective exercise journey and haven't looked back, using any and all methods and ideas in my quest to Restore Lost Physical Function ( shameless plug for my first DVD).

I, like Tim Ferriss, considered myself a lab rat, an experiment of one ,and I always tried things on myself first before ever considering them with a client. Many people think I have some fetish for the foam roller, or the thumper or for stretching. These are all justs tools I use when they are needed and are willing to let go as they aren't needed anymore.

I used to NEVER travel with out my foam roller and my thumper and some myofascial release balls, etc., etc. and would always have to devote considerable time to getting on the floor and using these tools as well as stretch my body out from all the sitting and walking. Not my idea of a good time but way better than being in serious pain. If you want a result you have to be willing to do what is necessary to get that result.

Well you don't ,but don't bitch if you stay where you are, progress wise.

But the last year things have really paid off. First I left the roller at home.Then the thumper. This trip I hardly needed to stretch at all as my work with my gait mechanics seems to have really had a breakthrough and I was able to walk without pain in my knee for the first time in eons!

Good thing too because I had lots of walking to do. 10 minutes of my stretch routine in the AM set me up for the rest of the day and as my gait wasn't creating tons of new tension to be release I had lots less corrective stuff to do.

I hadn't planned on training today as I am usually wrecked by half this much travel but I felt good this am and hit a light swing workout.

10 minute stretchout then:

Two hand swings
16 kg x10x2
20 kg x10
24 kg x10 x5 sets
28 kg x5 x5 sets
x 5/5

One arm swings
16 kgx 5/5
20 kgx5/5
24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10

After hearing Tim speak about the fat burning effects of cold exposure on the Dr. Oz show I felt much better about my freezing garage gym this am,lol.

It was a miracle, really, to be able to walk ( semi) normal this am AND be recovered enough with only 4 hours sleep to train a bit pain free. Crazy. And my new swing/snatch technique is holding up big time. Most excellent.

After spending time speaking with Tracy's agent about the upcoming plans for her book AND the accompanying media blitz that is sure to follow this was a good time to have a breakthrough as it seems the travel thing will pick up, not slow down in the near future.

Not to mention teaching at HKC's, RKC's and RKC Re Certs. Crazy good stuff.

Thank goodness for the kettlebell swing. Just one movement and one weight and who needs anything else? Especially in a pinch. Plus I have a great idea for a 'travel' kettlebell system that just might work so that might come in very handy.

datsit:))

2 comments:

guy said...

I know what you mean Sir, in 2005 I lived out of Hotel rooms for my job and I hated it! Your looking pretty Buff Boss, Good Picture! Well God Bless and Keep on Kepping on!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks guy. while I could survive it, I don't think I would ever get used to it, nor would I want to.

it wrecks the training and that's been going so well lately.

also, as Peter Lakatos Sr RKC says, 'plane traveling is like overtraining'. seems very true.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...