Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Double 28 kg swings, walking lunges, shoulder sled, triceps



Another very solid day. First time really working with the 28's and it went better than I could have hoped. The video above was my tenth set and the speed and power, as well as the height of the bells was better than it felt when I was doing it.

This was not a light day for me but it moved very strongly. In fact I just felt strong all over. Had a full hour to stretch out as well and that always helps. Shoulder is feeling great; just concentrating on mobility, flexibility and ROM and they feel the best they have felt in the last year. Not banging out 200 snatches with the 24kg probably helps as well.

Ironically I haven't lost any upper body size, in fact, I seem a bit thicker than before. All the tension that heavy swings provide and the hyper irradiation effect really does work for this for me. Also amazing that double 16 kgs used to kick my ass before I discovered my own groove for this movement.

two kb swings
2 16's x 10 x 2
2 20's x 8
2 24's x 5
2 28's x 8 x 10 sets
100 reps
12,320 lbs

could have easily done more sets or done 10 reps per set but since this is the top of the cycle ( 20s, 24s, 28s) and the first time through I wanted to leave a little something on the table. Had I known the swing were as high as they were I would have done tens. Next time

Walking lunges ( on grass)
4 laps of 100 feet

these were awesome! about 18 sets per lap this time. the first two laps were smoking my quads until I realized I was more vertical than usual. Leaned in a little and really felt the glutes kick in and distribute the load better. Both versions are good and the quad burn was very nice :)

I just love being able to do these now, they are seriously tough but doable and seriously functional. Perhaps one day :



Shoulder sled pull
85 lbs x 250 ft x 4 sets

again. very strong. leaning into a semi crouch and 'fake' sprinting down the sidewalk felt great. up on my toes for most of the lap except the last 30 ft or so when the bear jumped on my back :)

Ring extensions
15, 13, 10, 6

wanted to keep all the reps above tens but tricep death kicked in . this move still is working and the triceps are making a comeback

moves to add in
 Akward pose Utkasasana ( yoga) for knee mobility
this should be interesting. Tried to do it regularly when I did my time in Bikrams in 2008-9 but with the old knee it was always a loosing proposition. This could be ok now.Probably will go in the morning  mobility sessions.

datsit. Almost time to go teach in Italy. Can't wait, this should be awesome! 75 candidate instructors all ready to really learn the SFG system.  Love it.

neverquit.

4 comments:

Morgan L. said...

I'm starting to think the snatch is more of an aerobic exercise than a mass/strength builder. Heavy one arm strings seem to be the real mass/strength builder. I would think long cycle clean and press would build mass and strength as well. Since I tweaked my shoulder a few weeks ago I've been doing swings 2x week. I'll bet my snatch is MUCH stronger now from the swings. I know my grip has gotten much stronger in just the past couple weeks. I think people see the snatch as more of an advanced move, but I don't think it is anymore advance than a heavy one arm swing.

Morgan L. said...

That should read 'swings' not 'strings'!

Morgan L. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Reifkind said...

agree Morgan, but the snatch is the much more athletic move of the two. More tension in the swing is why it brings more mass to the party.
But the snatch is the Tsar of the Kettlebell lifts.
Can't wait til I can do it again.

I know Max Shank trains his students for the snatch test mainly with heavy one arm swings

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...