Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rediscovering my snatch form.


Last week sucked big time. My snatch felt all over the place and I got pretty discouraged. To the point where I thought that I had to take a break from it as it has just been really not "there" for months. And it used to be my favorite kb move! For many many years.

But I have never snatched like anyone else, certainly not standard RKC or SFG technique so I have always been striving to get my groove more in line with the basic ideal.

Except it doesn't work for me . :)
It's the same as when I spent so long trying to do my power squat with a low bar and wide stance. Made sense, technically, but it was just not optimal for my body. I could do it, and fairly decently at that, but it wasn't optimal.

My snatch form is very similar to my deadlift form- it takes a very stiff legged appearance and I tend to lean into it. For me, with my lumbar pelvic rhythm  if I lean forward my hips go back. If I sit back I tend to squat and have much less power.

When I swing I can do standard technique no problem. But the swing is not the snatch and I just let myself realize that today, although I have been down this road before.
The above picture was taken  in 2007 I believe and it was when my snatch production was at it's best and the groove the strongest and most comfortable for me.Why I let myself change it I don't know but I did.

Now I realize it was the right technique and today was a great lesson that that is true. Instead of sitting back behind the midline on the descent I just let the bell go over head WHILE I STAY FLAT FOOTED AND VERTICAL, NOT trying to sit back behind midline and then go with the bell. I leg my knees and legs do what they will, which looks like they stay pretty straight ( 10 degree of bend or so- just enough to get the glutes involved).

Today felt smooth and fast and powerful. My lockout is shy over directly overhead, but that's just how it is with my shoulders right now. BUT at  least they don't hurt. Neither did my back and I could feel the flow and power of the bell. About damn time.

I was just about to quit this move but I have hard time quitting something I haven't figured out.



Snatch
16 kg x 5/5/ x3
20 kg x 5/5/
22 kg x 5/5
         x 6/6
         x 7/7
         x 8/8
         x 9/9
         x 10/10
90 reps
4,410 lb
these went great the 24 would have gone as well too. I alternated the last few sets with vibrams and my oly shoes and surprisingly the oly shoes out me too far forward with this groove! The vibrams give me more latitude for balance.

Belt squats
24 kg x 20 x 2 sets

playing with form and this is the move. High reps and take the back out of it. Quad development and  knee flexion come before strength

Sled drag
70 lbs x 200 ft x 3 laps
80 lbs x 200 ft x 2 laps( pr! strong!)

Walking CB lunges
2 laps of 30 feet with 10lb club
this form is the goal



cable curls/ db kickbacks
3 sets each 12 reps

great training today and my head is back in the groove for the snatch! Have to follow my body first and foremost. Nothing works right if I don't.

datsit
Sisu/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Useful exercises. http://online-essay-writer.org/ Thanks for the video!

Unknown said...

Nice work by the author of this! essaymarket.co.uk This is absolutely awesom! Great work!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...