Thursday, October 18, 2012

When what was heavy now feels light



This always feels good. When weights that you one approached with trepidation you know approach with confidence. Weights and work loads you once hoped you would survive you know feel you can push a bit. Again, with confidence.

That's also the nice thing about having simple workouts and metrics to measure. You can measure them and compare to what you did at any time in the past. Easy to tell whether you are gaining ground or losing it.

Lord knows I have a lot of ground to make up but it's going in the right direction.I remember many times powerlifting when I would put 135 on my back and it felt like 315. Not a good start or indicator.

Or, just the opposite. When 135 felt less than an empty bar. You could pretty much bet on a good day that day :))

Today the bell was light and that was good.


Two Hand Swings
16 kg x 10
20 kg x 10
24 kg x 10
28 kg x 10
32 kg x5

36 kg x 10 x 16 sets
160 reps
12,800 lbs

these felt so solid and we went pretty quickly. I go you go with Glenn. the nice part was also that we kept it a practice. Focusing on form on each and every rep with great coaching in both directions. This always makes it better.I remember not too long ago that a few sets of 5 with this weight was cause for celebration now it's a relatively light bell for lots of sets and reps.

Snatch holds
16 kg x 30 sec
20 kg x 30 sec
         x 40 sec
         x 50 sec

this was TOUGH! I thought to make it easier by going lighter but longer was tough!!This is making all the difference in my shoulder stability and I'm getting stronger every week now.

Floor Eccentric pushups
4 x 10,10,8,8

ACTUALLY DID A FEW REAL FULL PUSHUPS!  Woo freaking hoo. I pushed it a bit too far towards the end so I backed off and went back to the negative into a kneeling pushup but it's SOOO close.
Have to drop the reps/set when I commit to doing them though. Five is good.

band laterals

3 x15/15

datsit.
Sisu/

2 comments:

Diana said...

I hope to feel this same way soon again! I have lost so much from training for the marathon, but I'm very confident it won't take long.
I love doing those snatch holds! Not quite up to 50 seconds, but 30 is good for me now!

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

the longer you hold the tougher it is , regardless of bell size! I worked up to 90 sec with the 24 last year so that is my goal to break this year!

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...